CP SOAPERS: Salt & citric acid in your soap?

beau's mama

While cleaning my storage room, I came across some soap I used to use in-between using handmade cp soap. These ended up at Big Lots almost 2 years ago b/c the company changed packaging & started triple milling. I bought a case of 36 (I think) mixed bars for $18

The soap is "One with Nature" & is the only commercially made cp soap (I think) that I have ever seen. The ingredients include salt & citric acid. Do any of you use these in your cp soap? How do/would you add it to the recipe?

This soap is a huge 7 ozs, SUPER ROCK HARD, & if I remember correctly, it lasted about 2-3 months with just me using it. I used it last night & this morning & the lather/bubbles are still beyond wonderful, & it's not drying to the skin, just like I remembered.

Just wondering b/c I do plan to venture into cp...one day

Thanks

Some think adding salt will make their bars harder. I disagree but don't stomp on others' experience. Citric acid - nope.

Triple-milling can result in a super dense bar because the grindings are then pressed by machine under tremendous pressure. I think that's why your bars lasted so long.

Citric acid in your CP I've heard can lower the PH, make a harder bar, soften skin and is used as a chleating agent. I think I read usage at 1 TB per lb., but don't quote me. I've never used it in mine, so don't know if it will do all this or not. :cool2:

I make salt bars and can tell you that the next day after i unmold the CP soap that has salt i have to slice it asap. If i let it sit too long it will not slice well. Salt draws moisture to it. I don't think it necessarily makes the bar harder but it does dry faster.

Citric acid helps lower the PH. Many companies use citric acid in their lotions and soaps to bring down the ph. I use it one teaspoon per pound in lotions sometimes.