We Have Wax!!! Oh Happy Day!!!

I'm about 4 hours from you... I'll come. *s*

What is "foal" and what is "mare wax"? :confused:

LOLOLOL LaVida!! You will get to play midwife to a horse!! She's going to have a baby soon~~ or so it appears! You up for it? Hehehe.. Man I would REALLY love to be there. But yeah, Nebraska might as well be in Austrailia for as far away as I am! :(

Can't wait to come home from work today and hear good news I will keep my fingers crossed!

When the mare gets very close to having her foal her udders will fill up with milk and she may start to drip a little. As the mare gets even closer to delivery the teats have almost a 'waxy' like coating on the ends of them and the whole udder has a wax like appearance also. I know that this can happen around 2 weeks before a mare actually gives birth, but it most often times is one of those signs that folks are looking for! My dad said he's noticed it only AFTER the foal was born a few times too. And here a cool little tidbit.. horses can actually delay the foaling for a time. It's maddening for sure. But if they don't want anyone around when they foal, they will wait until no one is!!

When the mare gets very close to having her foal her udders will fill up with milk and she may start to drip a little. As the mare gets even closer to delivery the teats have almost a 'waxy' like coating on the ends of them and the whole udder has a wax like appearance also. I know that this can happen around 2 weeks before a mare actually gives birth, but it most often times is one of those signs that folks are looking for! My dad said he's noticed it only AFTER the foal was born a few times too. And here a cool little tidbit.. horses can actually delay the foaling for a time. It's maddening for sure. But if they don't want anyone around when they foal, they will wait until no one is!!

Ahhhh...thanks for the info. Goes to show you learn something new every day.