Favorite bases for lotion and lip balm?

I've been into MP soaping for a few months, and am excited now to start experimenting with lotion and lip balm bases - I'd LOVE to get some opinions and personal preferences for different companies' bases...

What do you use/like, and why? What don't you like, and why? Thanks so much!

Sarah

www.soapersworkshop.com has both! :yay:

There have been a lot of plugs for Lindsay's things... I'm waiting for my friend (*cough* investor) to give the green light, then I'm getting some stuff from there. Just run a quick search on "soapersworkshop" here and you should be able to see what the others say :)

She's even got an option for custom-made bases at reasonable prices and I can definitely say she's very helpful and friendly. Also, her bases are concentrated, so you can save on shipping :D

Otherwise, there's Wholesale Supplies Plus, Essentials by Catalina, Bittercreek North, Majestic Mountain Sage...

Thanks for your reply! I agree, her lip balm and lotion bases look great ... I've actually read about the bases on all of those sites, and I know I'll just have to try a number of things to see what I like best, but I'm also hoping for folks to share their personal experiences with some of these ...

For instance, I read in the archives that some people find the BCN lip balm a bit drying over time?

Sarah

You all are awesome, thanks so much for the replies. Sounds like I'll be checking Lindsay's stuff out. I see preservatives are not already added to hers, and that there are two preservative options on her site - what's the difference, and which do you find preferable? I'll ask her about that too.

I also think Brambleberry's lip balm looks great - has anyone used it before?

Thanks again!!

Sarah

Thanks again so much for everyone's replies... I've decided to start off by checking out the shea lotion and shea/jojoba lip balm from Soapers Workship, which seems quite promising. I ordered them tonight and I'm so excited to try them out!

Here's another quick question for anyone who has experience or ideas - I think the "slim line" lip balm tubes (the taller skinnier ones) are so cute, but I want to shrink seal the tops and can only find shrink seals for standard sized tubes. Anyone know where I could find smaller seals for the thinner tubes? Anyone used this type of tube?

Thanks!!

Sarah

Let me know how the shea lotion goes, I'm thinking of ordering that! I was thinking of trying out a dilution of 1:1 water to base.

Can't help with the slim lippie tubes, I'm afraid... I'm probably getting the mac/jojoba kit from Lindsay :D

Lindsay's Shea lotion totally rocks. I start to get antsy when my bottle is less than 1/2 full. A 1:1 dilution is a great lotion..not too thin, not too thick. I like it a titch thicker, so I probably will do something like 7oz water to 8oz lotion base next time.

Sarah...MMS has the slim line shrink bands. http://www.thesage.com/catalog/ShrinkWrap.html it is the very last thing on this page.

Donna

Donna, thanks SO much! I couldn't find that size shrink band anywhere... and glad to hear the good reviews on the lotion, I'm really excited about it. I might actually follow your suggestion of 7 oz. water to 8 oz. lotion base, because I also like it a little thicker...

Sarah

I have some of Lindsays bases and love them! Lindsay is so sweet and very helpful! I love the fact that their concentrated, so it really saves on shipping and you can make just how you want it. I've had the Shea lotion, Decadently rich body cream and indulgence creama and they are all great! I like to add a little cyclo to mine and its so silky! I really like her hemp/jojoba lip balm base too! Also Oregon Trails Olive Ester lip balm base is really really good too! :grin2:

Sharon

Her sets are 64oz each (it's stated in the other cream pages, just not the shea lotion), and can be diluted up to 2:1 water to base. Any more than that and you risk screwing up the preservation. I personally wouldn't even dare go so high up the dilution scale :grin2:

There are dilution instructions on her site, here:

http://www.soapersworkshop.com/store/index.php?page=Dilution%20Directions

It's pretty simple, really, since her bases can be diluted at room temperature. I'm not sure if she sends recipe sheets, one of the others who've ordered might be able to clarify that...

Oh hmm... wait, this is from the custom formulations page... http://www.soapersworkshop.com/store/index.php?cPath=17

"The preservatives used in these bases will cover all dilutions up to 200 oz. Above this amount, extra preservatives are required."

I think I remembered it wrongly as 200%. Not sure if this means an added 200 oz of water to a 64 oz base, or 64 oz base + water up to 200 oz... and not sure if this applies to just custom formulations or pre-made as well.

Best to wait for Lindsay to clarify :D

I just purchased TC Laboratories Shea Butter Body Lotion from the classies here and this stuff is very thick. I made a small batch for testing. I mixed in red color and twigs & berry scent and it is very nice and absorbed quickly. I only had to put it on once all day and I have very dry skin. I like a thick lotion so I feel like I am putting something on, so this is perfect. I really like it. In the past I have bought lotion bases that are real runny, so I am very pleased with this stuff. I think it could be used as a whip that is how thick it is.

I just purchased TC Laboratories Shea Butter Body Lotion from the classies here and this stuff is very thick. I made a small batch for testing. I mixed in red color and twigs & berry scent and it is very nice and absorbed quickly. I only had to put it on once all day and I have very dry skin. I like a thick lotion so I feel like I am putting something on, so this is perfect. I really like it. In the past I have bought lotion bases that are real runny, so I am very pleased with this stuff. I think it could be used as a whip that is how thick it is.

what is TC Laboratories? Do you have a link for them?

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to update this thread for a little review on the lotion and lip balm bases I ended up buying from Lindsay at Soapers Workshop - they're AWESOME and I recommend anyone considering them to definitely go for it!

I got the shea lotion and ended up adding 4.5 oz. water per 6 oz. lotion for a consistency that's a little thicker but has no problem coming out of a pump. The stuff is great, I love it, and was so impressed that I just bought her decadence and indulgence creams to check out too.

As for the lip balm (I went with shea & jojoba), I am in love! I was skeptical that I could find anything I liked as much as Burts Bees (I'm a pretty loyal follower), but I haven't used my BB since I bought Lindsay's base. It feels super silky and leaves my lips so soft...

So that's my rave, just wanted to follow up for anyone who wanted a review on any of this...