testing and HOT weather

How do you all go about testing your candles when the weather is so hot? We close up the house and pull the blinds about 6:30 am and don't open it until the temp outside is less than in the house...obviously, no air conditioning. Husband is not into me heating the house up with candles, so haven't tried, but wonder how much heat one little 3" pillar could generate in 3-4 hours. I want them totally tested by fall, so can I burn them outside in the shade if it isn't windy? Just wondered, would change how they would burn? Thanks for suggestions. Beth

Not sure how hot it is in Idaho, but I live in SW Florida. We have been averaging 90-94 every day. I test my candles outside in the lanai (like a screened patio). To deal with the breezes, I use a glass chimney over the candle and this works fine. Good luck!

hi there

the building where i have my candle workshop has huge big windows in it at the top and the sun shines down onto the candles all the time and the temp in the place in unreal.

so i invested in a refrigrator and fridge the candles when they won;t come out the moulds, works perfectly.

flame

I'm completely new and trying to read and learn everything I can before I start.....but.....mind if I ask what exactly it is that you are testing for?

Just how they react while burning in different temps?

Well, right now it is 98 degrees outside in the shade and this is one of the slightly cooler days lately here in north Idaho. The house stays about 15 degrees cooler till evening when it levels off at about 85 or so. Thank heavens our nights are cooler...down in the 65-70 range. I do remember Minn. and 80 all night with much humidity! Still I would like to test the candles to see if they throw and if the wick will work good. I'm using a 24 ply in a paraffin 3" pillar. So maybe I'll get me one of those glass chimneys and try it out in a more protected shaded area. Will worry about throw after the wick check. Thanks for the idea. Beth

I'm completely new and trying to read and learn everything I can before I start.....but.....mind if I ask what exactly it is that you are testing for?

Just how they react while burning in different temps?

The term testing refers to "testing the whole candle." Timing the melt to the sides of the container, making sure the wick is the right size, evaluating the aroma throw.

www.Naturesgardencandles.com has a listing on the left side titled "Candle Manual" that will help explain a lot of things.

Candles should be tested in the approximate conditions under which the consumer will burn them. Unless you're testing Citronella, outside under a tree probably isn't such a good idea. If you are selling your candles primarily in the winter, your testing conditions must emulate those same conditions.

Candles burn differently at different ambient temperatures. What you use for a wick in the summer will most likely not work as well for winter burning.

www.StuffSunshineLikes.com

Gotta agree with Sliver. It's awful hot here too - high 90s every day and real high humidity levels - typical gulf south. I burn candles on the porch where we relax at night, but I don't test burn them there - I test burn in the house where it's air conditioned and around 76°.

I totally understand what you mean about not wanting to add heat to the house. When we were without power, and not a breeze with temps over 100° during the day, even the heat from a few candles indoors was more then we could stand!

Candles put out more heat than you might think. Some years back, some company, Wal-Mart perhaps, put out a Life Saver candle for motorists to carry in their cars in case they landed headfirst into a snowdrift with no help in sight.

I didn't try one, but did consider making them for my customers. The problem was I couldn't get past making a bunch of boring, unscented candles, so I abandoned the idea. Plus I figured the flame would eat up all the oxygen and they would probably die anyway, but at least they wouldn't freeze to death.

www.StuffSunshineLikes.com

Ah, I see...makes a lot of sense. I guess I never realized that candles burn differently in the winter and the summer...I've never noticed a difference in the ones I've bought when I burn them during different seasons...I'll have to pay more attention.

I have to say my hat is off to you for even MAKING candles in that heat with no air conditioning. I am not a hot weather person and heat like that would not make me a very happy camper!!! I have noticed that my wick sizes will sometimes need to be increased when it gets colder. So you may want to re-test a couple of the candles you are making now when fall/winter roll around.

I test in my basement, just guessing you don't have one. Stays cooler down there, I too HATE hot weather. Been in Portland a year now and it's heaven compaired to living in hot dry dirty dusty Riverside CA. It's been cool (high of 68) here today and the next few days, I'd imagine you'll be getting that cold front soon. Maybe test then?

I would think putting a chimney over a pillar would change the way it burns. Enclosed places like that would probably retain more heat inside and likely create it's own air current...

I am testing 4 oz jelly jars with the chimneys. I should have been more clear-I test both inside and outside, both winter and summer. I don't find the chimneys make a significant difference with these containers but I don't know about pillars. Candle toppers made a huge difference and I had to abandon them-candle burned too hot. The ambient temperature does make some difference but has not posed that much of a problem unless I try to test below 65 degrees. Then I don't get a good melt pool. From 65-95, does not seem to make too much difference. I use IGI 4630 which is very soft. I aim for about a 1/4" melt with a slight hangup on the first burn or two, which then catches up later. This gives me some wiggle room regarding the room temperature. Hope this helps some of you. BTW, I make my candles in the lanai too, at 94 degrees. Thermometer in the lanai reads 100. I guess you just get used to it in Florida. :laugh2:

Have a friend with the same problem. She wanted to test unscented jars just to see how the melt pool would go. She compromised with hubby. She put the candle in the spare bathroom and left the bathroom door open a few inches to get the airflow - - - and turned on the fan to get the hot air out when she was through!

(That logic worked on him, anyway! :thumbsup: )