silk fiber question

Rob

I add my silk fibers to my distilled water and let them set for awhile until they are totally saturated with water. Then I add my lye all at once to the water mixture and stir for a few seconds. The heat from the lye will totally dissolve the fiber and just leave the water a bit cloudy. I stir again before putting the water into my oils.

In soap? I toss my fibers into container, add my water in on top and then my lye directly in on top as well. Stir till the solution pretty much clears (lye dissolves) and set it aside. There are still some kinda gloppy fibers left when the solution cools but I use the solution anyway and never came across any evidence of it in the soap. I think the stirring to trace and then the full saponification takes care of it all.

It's time more than stirring that takes care of the buggers. And adding them AFTER the lye doesn't seem to work as well.

Rob, if you are using them in your lotions, etc. rather than soap, might I suggest adding them to the melt or heat/hold phase of your recipe? It seems that the heat from the lye in soapmaking will melt them so I'm guessing that the same theory will hold true when creating lotions.

I personally use the liquid silk from Brambleberry so I don't have problems with the dissolving issue.;) HTH

Rob, if you are using them in your lotions, etc. rather than soap, might I suggest adding them to the melt or heat/hold phase of your recipe? It seems that the heat from the lye in soapmaking will melt them so I'm guessing that the same theory will hold true when creating lotions.

I personally use the liquid silk from Brambleberry so I don't have problems with the dissolving issue.;) HTH

Doh! I didn't know they had liquid silk... time to spend some $$$$ at Brambleberry. I love that company :yay:

Thank you!

Doh! I didn't know they had liquid silk... time to spend some $$$$ at Brambleberry. I love that company :yay:

Thank you!

You can also get liquid silk at MMS.

I wasn't even thinking about you putting the silk in lotion nor did I think of the liquid silk. Duh!!