Pumpkin in Soap?

heather_dw

If I wanted to adjust my usual soy/coconut oil CP soap recipe to make it for fall. How do I figure out how much canned pumpkin to add?

Also, would I need coloring or would the pumpkin do that naturally. I have a body safe pumpkin FO, but a bit lost on the next step.

thanks in advance!

Also, if were to make apple cider soap, could I make it with instant cider or do I *have* to use the real thing? I have a show in September and it's too early to buy real cider around here.

thanks in advance!

I add 1 tablespoon pp of oils at light trace. I also add a tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice pp to mine. I have also made it using the pumpkin as 1/2 of my water in the lye solution, you have to make sure it is very cold when you use it that way. They both came out about the same so it is a matter of choice.

I also use 1/2 water to 1/2 fruit puree. Most likely your soap will be some shade of orangey-brown. Adding color would probably just make it worse, but what do I know, I'm color challenged (all my soaps are some shade of brown!). Adding a skosh of pumpkin pie spice or cinammon (just a bit!) or nutmeg (again, just a bit) would speckle it nicely. And as LovelyLathers said, make sure its frozen slushy.

After I photographed my pumpkin soap it turned a very dark nutmeg brown shade and I absolutely hate it now. It lathers well but I'm wondering if it actually adds anything to the soap other than that horrid color. I might try it again with less pumpkin...not sure cause I'm done experimenting with food. I did it the same as I do carrot. I discounted the water for the amount of pumpkin I used which was probably half the water in the recipe.

I made an apple cider and apple soap. Used apple cider as the water. It did turn a funny color but i was comitted. I also used a 1Tablespoon of apple puree. Man it riced but so i put in the Fo [apple cider] and sb the sn__t out of it put in mold. I then put it to bed and did not look at it for about two days. I thought it was gonna be trash. But it was great. Now my dd boss loves it and bought my last two bars. She took him one free because of his skin. So now i have to make more. I also did a cuke one I but in 1 tb. ppo I only make 1pd. batchs. Just a hobby for me. Mabe i will start making more.

Have fun

You know, there are some great FO's out there that are body-safe that smell like pumpkin pie! Just out of curiosity, what is the pumpkin pie spice for? Never used it in mine, I just load it up with some body-safe pumpkin FO and I am good to go! :highfive:

Caution! Caution! This one will grow mold if you push the 1 tablespoon ppo thing.. Keep it there. I'm telling you, it was gross, and I even went to a 3% lye discount instead of the usual 5 to account for the extra goodies and stuff. Have fun, and happy soaping!