Bramble Berry's Ultramarine Blue Oxide

marty

Hi all:

I am in the process of using Shea Butter Melt & Pour Soap base from Bramble Berry and trying to get a baby blue color. I need to make 50 heart shaped soaps for a baby shower and am having difficulty with the blue oxide. I am able to get the baby blue color, but the coloring does not mix in well at all. I use the microwave method, put a small amount of coloring and stir and stir and stir. Like I said I'm able to get the color I want, but once I pop the soaps out of the molds, there's a whole bunch of blue color specks on the bottom of the soaps. Can any of you give me some advice as to how I can avoid this problem. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks

Marty

Hi all:

I am in the process of using Shea Butter Melt & Pour Soap base from Bramble Berry and trying to get a baby blue color. I need to make 50 heart shaped soaps for a baby shower and am having difficulty with the blue oxide. I am able to get the baby blue color, but the coloring does not mix in well at all. I use the microwave method, put a small amount of coloring and stir and stir and stir. Like I said I'm able to get the color I want, but once I pop the soaps out of the molds, there's a whole bunch of blue color specks on the bottom of the soaps. Can any of you give me some advice as to how I can avoid this problem. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks

Marty

I have never used oxides in my soaps, so this is just a suggestion and I'm not at all sure if it would work. Is there any way you can mix the oxide with some olive oil first and then add it to the soap base and stir stir stir?

Like PA said you can mix it with an oil of some kind, or a vegetable glycerin would work too. It helps incorporate the oxide into the base and with the glycerin it doesn't affect the lather like oil can. (however with the small amount of oil you would need to incorporate the color, that shouldn't affect the lather either).

I use a fine mesh wire sieve to add my oxides, or anything powdered, even milk powders that tend to clump. I also use a whisk to stir, yes...it makes lots of bubbles, but a bit of alcohol takes care of that.

Thank you for your responses. I did try mixing with olive oil and it has helped a lot. There's still some small specks but nothing compared to the first few batches. Now the problem I'm having is that the color is closer to a lavender than blue.

Please tell me where to get the FDC's or PA what dyes do you use and from which supplier. I'm in a pinch right now because I need the soaps for the end of this week and don't have time to get another type but I need something for the future.

Once again,thanks for replying to my question.

Marty

Thank you for your responses. I did try mixing with olive oil and it has helped a lot. There's still some small specks but nothing compared to the first few batches. Now the problem I'm having is that the color is closer to a lavender than blue.

Please tell me where to get the FDC's or PA what dyes do you use and from which supplier. I'm in a pinch right now because I need the soaps for the end of this week and don't have time to get another type but I need something for the future.

Once again,thanks for replying to my question.

Marty

I don't use dye anymore! Just plain old boring naturally colored bars for me. I love 'em! :)