Candle Tarts ??

Are they difficult to make? Do you have to use special wax and additives? I read the basics of how to make candles but nothing on tarts. Where is a good place to buy wax and supplies? Is there any site that gives a good tutorial? Any insite on which type of color to use?

Hey namanama, tarts are the easiest of all to make. Get yourself some nice wax like IGI 4794 that is already blended, some tart molds and you are good to go. It's best to find the closest place to where you live to buy wax. It is very expensive to ship. I use liquid dye.

I use the 4794 wax also...very easy to work with!

Also, do a search for "tart molds" and people have lots of ideas as to other items you can use for the molds if you don't want to invest in the metal molds right now.

Have fun!

Tarts are not difficult at all. 4794 is a good wax to use, or any tart/votive/pillar wax is good also. The best place to buy from is a supplier near you ... what state do you live in? As for a tutorial ... follow the candlemaking directions for your wax, then, pour into tart molds. You can use anything for tart molds ... ice cube trays, mini muffin pans, etc. (good idea to do a search, I think there was a thread on this recently). As for color, I would suggest liquid colors, imo, they are the easiest to work with.

Tarts are easy, here's what you'll need:

Pillar blend wax: 4794 seems to be quite popular, although I use something different.

Quality fragrance oil: Peak, Nature's Garden, KY Candle Supply, Rustic Essentials, etc. There are lots of good suppliers out there, just do a search for one closest to you.

Molds: You can purchase the standard scalloped 1 oz tart molds from a lot of suppliers or use your own, such as Candle Buddy suggested.

I make a dozen one ounce tarts at a time, so I melt 12 oz of wax in a presto pot at 200 degrees, add desired amount of dye, mix well. Pour into pour pot, add 1 oz of fragrance oil at around 175 degrees, mix well, let cool to approximately 155-160 degrees and pour into molds. Let set up completely, then remove from molds....and you're done! See...it's easy!

Namanama,

Most likely...your best bet is going to be candlewic in PA. I live in western ny and I've found them to be probably the most economical and pretty reliable. Catch them on a good sale week and you can save some money. Unless you can pick up your wax directly...it's going to be costly to ship. PA and OH are only 2 days ship for ups so I would make that your target area. They also have tart molds too!!

Feel free to drop me a pm if ya wish.

Greg