Dying Soy Wax

It sounds like the dye is not incorporated into the wax. Soy is harder to dye. If you are using chips or solid dye, try melting it in your pour pot prior to adding the wax. Add your wax at 175-180 and stir, add your fo immediately after and stir again, stir every few minutes until it cools to pouring temp. Pour temp should not really factor IMO. HTH

Could you provide a little more information about your candles? What wax are you using, what dyes are you using, etc.? Are these container candles or molded ones? What temp are you heating & pouring? At what temp are you adding the dye? Are you using FOs also, if so, what temp are they being added? Are you having other issues like rough tops, frosting, etc.?

If the white lines are horizontal and spaced rather evenly, they are jump lines. The "snowflake type things" sound like frosting.

I use the Golden Soy Blend 444 for containers and dye chips from mill creek. They are my jar candles. I use their temp. Suggestions Heat to 185 cool to 175 add my dye a mix well then my FO. I pour between 145-160 because those are the directions they gave me. I have tried pouring cooler and it seems to make it worse, my tops are fine because I add a little beeswax so I don't have any problem with that. I am just getting white lines all over the candle.

I too am having issues with 444 and extreme frosting. I am wondering if my problem isn't the age of the wax batch and/or the environment I'm pouring in.

My initial tests with 444 were good. Minimal if any frosting. Within the last month, I'm having problems with this batch of wax. Terrible frosting with no other changes in process or ingredients. Can a batch of wax go bad suddenly? Note: This batch does say to use by July of 2007.

Jason (if you read this), would you be willing to send me a couple pound sample to test alongside this case of 444?

Tony

I have had the same thing my initial tests were fine it's just been in the past month that mine has started doing this, my use by date is 11-07. The only thing I am doing different is using a whisk to mix my fragrance where as before I just stirred it in gently, I am going to only stir the next batch and see if that helps!