Black Puffs

Just another newbie...:rolleyes2 All of you veterans have really been helpful to me and have helped to make this new venture a blast...so thanks to you all.

I have been testing my 9 oz. "roly poly" soy containers (ECO 14) and they seem to be doing everything right except I keep getting black puffs of smoke shooting up during the burn. Any thoughts? Thank you.

If that's the 3 1/4 inch diameter roly poly glass I think you're gonna have trouble single wicking it. With most all-veggie soy waxes it's probably out of reach. I figure you're getting puffs of smoke because you're using the largest ECO wick and the air currents in the container are whipping that big old flame around.

If you don't think that's it then throw us a few more details about the candle, like wax and FO. Maybe it's a little overscented.

Hi Sydnee,

I'm guessing that those black puffs are soot coming from your wicks. Not knowing what kind of wax you are using and the amount of fragrance oils per pound of wax you are using and the wicks you are using it is hard to give any solid advice. I would guess that it is a combination of to much fragrance oil and the wrong wick size. I'm sure there are others on the board here that can give you better and more definative answers than I can. Hopefully they will post some good advice for you.....they always do.....

Mike

Thank you. Just to be more specific...I am using C-3 soy wax, ECO 14 wick and using 1oz. of FO per pound of wax. I am getting very smooth tops with few wet spots, a complete melt pool and the throw is really nice. So I am pretty pleased with the result except for the black puffs.

How long did you wait for a full MP? I am not familar with those wicks, but I usually look for a inch per hour so if you are at over 3" in diameter it may take the right wick up to 3 hours for a full MP, usually less but a good rule of thumb. Again I don't use that wax either, but 50 mins for full MP at 3.25" seems awfully fast and that could indicate a hot wick, which is why you could be getting those "poofs" as the wick is not burning correctly once it's created the MP so quickly. And those roly's are going to be smaller/diameter at the top then go out wide, something else to consider? That's why I avoid any container that is not straight sided - wicking nightmares!

Let me reiterate my question about the diameter of the tumbler and maybe also where you got it, so we all understand what glassware you're using. Even an ECO 14 isn't going to have a full 3 1/4" melt pool in 50 minutes with C-3 wax. Not gonna happen. Then you say with ECO 12 you never have a full melt pool. It's not really making sense.

Sydnee,

I use an Eco12 in a 3 1/4" straight sided container with C3 and it works pretty good. You may still get a small amount of smoking depending on the FO. The first burn (3-4 hr) doesn't always reach the sides, but the 2nd burn usually will...again a lot depends on the FO used. I always use 1 oz pp...sometimes a tiny bit more if it's a light FO or tiny bit less for a heavy FO.