Container Blends "Appearance"

I was researching back posts on J-50 and once again referred to Top's excellent poll on container blends. I was curious though from those in the know - what properties would J-50 exhibit that can put it last in the appearance category?

Appearance

1. Harmony 4.19 (0.88)

2. Comfort 4.13 (0.96)

3. J-223 4.10 (0.87)

4. J-50 3.92 (1.04)

I was researching back posts on J-50 and once again referred to Top's excellent poll on container blends. I was curious though from those in the know - what properties would J-50 exhibit that can put it last in the appearance category?

Appearance

1. Harmony 4.19 (0.88)

2. Comfort 4.13 (0.96)

3. J-223 4.10 (0.87)

4. J-50 3.92 (1.04)

I can only give you my very NON technical opinion here. I have tried both of the J waxes mentioned, and I currently use Comfort Blend. I have never tried Harmony Blend, so I don't know how it compares. The J waxes just do not have the creamy lovely appearance that my CB has. I can't even define it.. it's not really that it's more opaque I don't think.. it's just creamier and richer looking when it's cooled.

There. How's that for scientific? ;)

I suspect the glass adhesion factored into the appearance score. Harmony and Comfort are a distinct cut above the J waxes in that regard, as suggested by both the poll and my own observations. J-50 is distinctly the worst.

Just bear in mind a lot depends on how you pour the waxes and what particular batch you get. Some of these products are manufactured in more than one facility using slightly different materials and the materials might change from time to time according to availability.

Other aspects of appearance are more subject to personal preference. Opacity is one of the most notable differences. Comfort Blend colors more deeply and can distinctly glow through depending on the size of your candle and how you dye it. Harmony has brighter colors with the same amount of dye. It's kind of in between Comfort and J-223 in terms of opacity.

Thank you very much !

I was actually all set to start working with the comfort blend - but it being dead last in wicking has me concerned.

Wicking and Burn

1. J-50 4.21 (0.63)

2. J-223 3.77 (0.95)

3. Harmony 3.44 (1.27)

4. Comfort 2.27 (1.12)

Thank you very much !

I was actually all set to start working with the comfort blend - but it being dead last in wicking has me concerned.

Wicking and Burn

1. J-50 4.21 (0.63)

2. J-223 3.77 (0.95)

3. Harmony 3.44 (1.27)

4. Comfort 2.27 (1.12)

Henryk it's not a hard wax to wick. You just need to remember that you will probably have to wick UP. I use zinc wicks and I know others do too, they have their downfalls, but they do a fantastic job with this wax. If you don't mind the mushroom, they are definitely the way to go.

I remember when I was trying to decide what container wax to go with after Peak's discontinued their Performance Blend.. I was so bummed out, but now I am just thrilled that I picked the Comfort Blend. Have you tried a sample of it yet? Would you like to if not? Let me know.. I'll share some! :yes:

For all the good qualities of 4627, the tradeoff is that it's the hardest to burn of all those blends. You might have to experiment more with wicking.

Your experience will also depend on what kind of candle you plan to make. There's a big difference between trying to make a wide diameter single-wicked jar versus a tumbler or something in between. If you select a wax with your application in mind, you won't need to fight with it as much.

I think some people like zinc wicks with 4627 because it makes it easier to get a good melt pool. I saw that phenomenon myself and was puzzled at first. Then I noticed I always got a wider melt pool with wicks that mushroomed (even in pillars), so I think that's the explanation. Relatively low ROC plus a hot coal at the tip of the wick. :)

I have only been playing with the 4627 for a short time but in my limited experience I did not find it anymore or less difficult to wick then soy and I also ended up going with the zincs in a 3 inch tumbler cause it seemed to give the best burn and melt pool but I did have to wick up as suggested by Pairieanne having said that I did also get some successs with HTP's but choose the zincs. HTH

With all due respect to Top, I find J-50 to be the best of the bunch. I've tried 'em all and stick with the J-50. I tweak it a tad, but by itself it ain't bad.

Hey, that rhymes. Candles and poetry-who Knew?

I get no wet spots, great colors, extremely (and I mean EXTREMELY) clean burn and excellent cold/hot throw.

It doesn't get any better.

Fredron

I want to thank everyone again - esp. Prarie for the offer - very kind of you.

:smiley2:

After so much reading I think I'm going to J waxes - at least first - for a couple reasons. I can pick it up and/or get it shipped locally - plus wetspots are low on my list as far as problems that bug me go. I'm just getting bored with soy wax for container candles - need another challenge.

:tiptoe: