mold on wax

Yuck! Doesn't seem normal to me. I have both of those waxes. They are each at least 6 mo. old. The 6006 is stored in plastic in the flat rate box it was mailed in. The 70/30 is in a rubber made. Never had that happen with any wax. Even my J223 is fine and I have the last few slabs stored in the plastic it came in. These are in my spare bedroom.

Since you stated the area was cool and dry, I would est. it would not be from humidity in the air. Maybe water/ too much moisture in the wax itself.

Beats me! Like you said, I kept mine in the plastic bag it came in and the box. There was just a speck or two on both waxes, and they didn't run deep because I was able to just cut those little pieces off. I was just stunned to see that had happened. Wondered if it was just me, it usually is!

They're made partially of vegetable shortening. It's edible. You can get weevils too, at least with the 70/30. They don't know about the trans-fats.

You're kidding! I think I would have a heart attack, I don't take to bugs easily.

The air in the closet is stagnant. The air inside the bag is stagnant. The moisture requirement for mold/mildew growth is surprisingly low so long as it's dark, cool and still inside. Down here in the humidity belt, mold/mildew are a fact of life. Even a large sealed plastic container can develop mold inside if there is a lot of stagnant air inside the container. When one removes a cool, dry slab of wax into a warmer, moister environment, moisture will condense in a thin layer on the outside of the wax. You remove what you need, and replace it into the closet, along with the condensation, and VOILA! Mold growth!

I dug up some slabs of wax I had from six months ago. 6006 & GL70/30, and they both have spots of mold on them! They were stored in a cool, dry, dark closet. I don't understand, is this normal?

We have been using IGI 6006 for years and before that it was BP 5766 and have never had mold on it. But sometimes there was little rust flakes on it.

But no mold thats a new one, what did your supplier do or say?;)

Wow, I have some 6006 that has been laying around on my patio for over 2 years, I live in the wet Northwest. I opened the cardboard box and it's just fine. If mold could be on anyone’s wax it should be mine, it wasn't even sealed or in plastic. I guess mine is just too old at this point. I'm not surprised you've got mold spots as a another poster mentioned the vegetable wax. Ever got mold on crisco, I do for often as I cook with it.