Melt & Pour

Brat

Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've been here, but decided to do some research. I bought some craft store Shea butter m&p base and liquid colors. I added some skin safe FO I had lying around. I tried some of it, and it's a little bit drying. I was surprised. Is there something I can add to it to make it a little more moisturizing? I'm planning on buying some soap base from Peak. Right now I just need something that won't dry me out when I use it. Any suggestions? I'm interested in the goat's milk base and honey base. What about glycerine? Does that require a bunch of additives? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I keep getting lost in the search function!

You can try adding some castor oil and/or glycerin to the base to lose some of the drying effect. All of the craft store bases are going to be the same, but they CAN be helped with additives. Most of the craft store stuff is kind of rubbery.. even SFIC is a little rubbery IMO, which is why I use something entirely different but SFIC is my second favorite and I use it when I run out of the good stuff ;)

Add the castor and or glycerin.. add a little jojoba oil too if you'd like, and if you have some extra lotion laying around.. squirt some in there too!! I kid you not! The glycerin should help to keep the lotion from killing your lather!

I kinda figured the craft store bases would be cheaply made but expensive. That's how it was with candle supplies too. I had the itch and just HAD to get some. I don't think they LOOK too terrible, but hey who knows! You all mlight find them extremely fugly! I'm probably going to remelt them and try adding something to it. Well... hmm... on second thought, since I just ordered a couple of pounds of base from Peak, I might just leave these here as is and give them to hubby. He doesn't like a real moisturizing soap... hmmmm.... I'll have to fix the second batch though. Will try the castor or glycerine/lotion thing. Got plenty of lotion lying around!

Oh, prairieannie, you said the SFIC is kinda rubbery for you, what would be your first choice? From what I gather, SFIC is what Peak has, correct? Which means that's what I just ordered? LOL

I'm going to post my fabulous first and second tries in the gallery... don't laugh too hard please!

I kinda figured the craft store bases would be cheaply made but expensive. That's how it was with candle supplies too. I had the itch and just HAD to get some. I don't think they LOOK too terrible, but hey who knows! You all mlight find them extremely fugly! I'm probably going to remelt them and try adding something to it. Well... hmm... on second thought, since I just ordered a couple of pounds of base from Peak, I might just leave these here as is and give them to hubby. He doesn't like a real moisturizing soap... hmmmm.... I'll have to fix the second batch though. Will try the castor or glycerine/lotion thing. Got plenty of lotion lying around!

Oh, prairieannie, you said the SFIC is kinda rubbery for you, what would be your first choice? From what I gather, SFIC is what Peak has, correct? Which means that's what I just ordered? LOL

I'm going to post my fabulous first and second tries in the gallery... don't laugh too hard please!

SFIC is a good base, but it's just not the best for me. I make every batch with goat's milk now, and yeah, it was rubbery for me for whatever reason.. I mean.. a thin bar is bendable LOL. But I juiced it up with some bees wax and pulled a few other tricks out of my bag and it turns out okay.. like I said, it's my second favorite because it's easy to fix. :D I use the base from Essentials by Catalina. IMO it's only pitfall is that they ship it in a huge round, and it's heavy and a PITA to cut compared to the neatly packaged 1 pound blocks from Peaks, but other than that, it's just the best there is.

I wonder if I can get a sample from Catalina... will have to find out!

I read that milk has moisturizing properties... I have some milk powder here at the house, can a bit of that be added to a remelt?

I wonder if I can get a sample from Catalina... will have to find out!

I read that milk has moisturizing properties... I have some milk powder here at the house, can a bit of that be added to a remelt?

Yep, a bit can be added.. I'd probably reconstitute it first, but lots of folks add it powdered too.. your call!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've been here, but decided to do some research. I bought some craft store Shea butter m&p base and liquid colors. I added some skin safe FO I had lying around. I tried some of it, and it's a little bit drying. I was surprised. Is there something I can add to it to make it a little more moisturizing? I'm planning on buying some soap base from Peak. Right now I just need something that won't dry me out when I use it. Any suggestions? I'm interested in the goat's milk base and honey base. What about glycerine? Does that require a bunch of additives? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I keep getting lost in the search function!

You can order, there is a charge, sample bases from SFIC. It is a one time only sample pack and includes 1 lb of each base. Will give you a chance to see which one you like. HTH

http://www.sficcorp.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=208

• 3 weeks later...

I was at the craft store today and the m & p's there didn't look too good. I have been looking at the soap crafters website and am interested in their goats milk m& p, it says it has 10% goats milk.

I recently heard lots of recommendations on another soap forum for sfic, in particular their complexion base thru Wisteria Lane. It sounds really good with 5% goats milk and 15% mango butter.

prairieannie:

SFIC is a good base, but it's just not the best for me. I make every batch with goat's milk now, and yeah, it was rubbery for me for whatever reason.. I mean.. a thin bar is bendable LOL. But I juiced it up with some bees wax and pulled a few other tricks out of my bag and it turns out okay.. like I said, it's my second favorite because it's easy to fix. :D I use the base from Essentials by Catalina. IMO it's only pitfall is that they ship it in a huge round, and it's heavy and a PITA to cut compared to the neatly packaged 1 pound blocks from Peaks, but other than that, it's just the best there is.

Hello. I am looking to order some m&p in the next week or so. I was interested in your post as I have been on the catalina site before. I was most intrigued by their body lotion base. Have you ever tried that?

I looked at their goat milk soap base and it didn't say how much goat milk was in it. What makes it so much better than sfic? I am new to all this and any advice would be appreciated. Thanx!

I was at the craft store today and the m & p's there didn't look too good. I have been looking at the soap crafters website and am interested in their goats milk m& p, it says it has 10% goats milk.

I recently heard lots of recommendations on another soap forum for sfic, in particular their complexion base thru Wisteria Lane. It sounds really good with 5% goats milk and 15% mango butter.

prairieannie:

Hello. I am looking to order some m&p in the next week or so. I was interested in your post as I have been on the catalina site before. I was most intrigued by their body lotion base. Have you ever tried that?

I looked at their goat milk soap base and it didn't say how much goat milk was in it. What makes it so much better than sfic? I am new to all this and any advice would be appreciated. Thanx!

It's all relative. Everyone has to decide for themselves what works best. I do make a LOT of soap, and for me, the base from essentials by catalina is just unbeatable. The soap never sweats, it's not rubbery ever, I add so much stuff to it and it so willingly takes on additives without throwing any kind of crap back at me! I just love it. I've tried everything else, and this is just what works the best for us, in our climate, and with our particular additives. I always add my own goats milk to my recipes for soap, so I never pay much attention to how much is in a base. I have no idea on the EBC base for percentage of goat milk.

I don't use their body lotion base.. but not because I don't like it, I've just not tried it yet. Maybe one day if I ever become unhappy with what I do use. Good luck with your new purchases and your foray into soaping! Have fun! :)