Cinnamon clay...anyone got a recipe?

asheebeans

I did a search on MSN and sifted through 18 pages of links before I had to go to work. I am off to search again, but was wondering if anyone had a recipe for cinnamon clay. I keep seeing places that sell it to you for a ridiculous amount of money....but I would like to make my own. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! Off to search some more! :tiptoe:

Cinnamon Doughamaizbu1.gif1/2 cup Applesauceamaizbu1.gif3/4 cup ground cinnamonamaizbu1.gif3 Tbsp white school glueamaizbu1.gifExtra cinnamon

Combine glue and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Add applesauce, stirring constantly until you have a stiff dough. You may not need all the applesauce or you may need a smidge more.

Remove dough onto the table and knead for 5 minutes until firm.

Let rest 30 minutes at room temperature.

Lay waxed paper out on the table.

Dust rolling pin with cinnamon and roll clay out on the waxed paper to about 1/8 inch thick.

Cut out with cookie cutters of your choice.

Poke a hole in the top (if you like) with a straw.

Leave in a warm, breezy location to dry for about 48 hours to 1 week.

Turn over every 24 hours during the drying process.

They smell wonderful!

Mari

http://everlastingimage.vstore.ca/

3 TBS. shortening

3/4 cup water

1/2 cup molasses

3 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup sugar

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. each ground cloves, cinnamon, and ginger

Combine all ingredients ...

roll out dough to 1/4" thick ...

cut with cookie cutters (use a straw to poke a hole for hanging) ...

bake for 20 mins. in 350 oven (turn a couple of times while cooling) ...

let dry for 1-2 days.

To preserve ... paint on a thin layer of modge podge, or dip in scented wax. I make gingerbread men from this dough ... they are awesome Christmas tree ornaments.

• 3 weeks later...
Confused as usual. What's the point of this? I am sure it is something amazing but I'm not getting it.

I was a bit confused on this one myself, but DD took one look at it and now has visions of spiced X-mas ornaments and maybe adding some to bowls of fall/holiday spiced potpourri. Now she's got me thinking. Like I need another project :rolleyes2 .

Rena

Exactly ... tree ornaments, bowl fillers, add to rosehips for prim decorating/scenting, they make a nice garland for Christmas decorating on mantels, etc. Also, great for teachers gifts ... my daughter helps me make them into tree ornaments, we package them in cello bags tied with homespun, finish off with a tea/coffee stained tag ... and you've got yourself a winner. Big sellers at holiday craft shows. :grin2:

we make them every year and use cookie cutters to cut out snowflakes, stars and gingerbread men. then outline with white puff paint so they look like real cookies. i use the smaller cookie cutters to make shapes to mix with the rosehip/cinn stick blend. when i was making the prim lighted garlands, i had them hanging on the strand. just make sure to wear gloves because the spices will dry your hands out big time.

i used the recipes at:

http://twigs-n-sprigs.safeshopper.com/492/cat492.htm?796

oh yeah, dipping in wax is great too! i'm so glad you posted that cuz i had forgotten all about it,lol! over time they lose a bit of their throw, but if stored well, can last a long time. i did a more prim/rustic gingerdough boy with using whole cloves for the eyes, mouth and buttons.

Pumpkin Pie Spice would be excellent. I've made them in just about every fall/holiday food scent I have.

asheebeans ... if I'm making larger cutouts that I plan on hanging on the tree/garland etc., I thread wire thru the hole and hand them to dry. If I'm making litte ones to add in with rosehips, I dip them, shake off any excess wax and lay them on wax paper to dry.

Yes, Modge Podge does mask the scent, however, if you want to keep them from year to year, you need to preserve them to keep them from going moldy or getting little bugs. If you only want them for one season, then you don't have to do anything to them.

• 2 weeks later...