Oh gosh, wish me luck!

ah-soy

Thanks Meredith...I haven't picked my scent yet. I only have dozens and dozens and dozens to pick from. Guess I should do a bit of research first to see which ones generally behave in CP...see I already know some soaping lingo!

Oh good! More “Newbie’s First Batch” Pictures coming soon! Makes me wish I was a newbie again… the excitement… the anticipation… oh, that’s right, I am still a newbie!

Welcome to the club ah-soy… next month you’ll be looking a 12 step program cuz all you can think about is “wonder what kind of soap this will make”… or “this would smell good as soap”…

Thanks Meredith...I haven't picked my scent yet. I only have dozens and dozens and dozens to pick from. Guess I should do a bit of research first to see which ones generally behave in CP...see I already know some soaping lingo!

Doing your homework; good girl! ;) For me, the easiest method of soaping is room temp oils and lye. Melt your oils and mix your lye solution the day before you want to soap. On D-Day, add your fragrance to your oils and mix well. Mix the oils and lye and start with a SPOON. Use the stick blender in small bursts, hand stirring in between.

When the color changes from clear to opaque and the soap is the consistency of pancake batter, you have reached trace. If you are going to color, take some soap out now and do your thing, hand stirring. The other soap will continue to thicken in the pot as you work on the colored portion.

Pour into your mold and do the happy soaping dance! :yay:Cover with saran wrap and put your baby to bed, wrapped in plenty of blankets for a 24 hours nap.

HTH,

e

Well I resisted tying this for the longest time. Every spare space in our house if full of bath, body and candle supplies. When the box came yesterday, hubby just looked at me and rolled his eyes...again!

Well I resisted tying this for the longest time. Every spare space in our house if full of bath, body and candle supplies. When the box came yesterday, hubby just looked at me and rolled his eyes...again!

My hubby was like that, til I started actually making the soap. Now he's being very suportive. Went and found a drawer unit to help me organize my stuff, and today went to 5 different wal-marts to find coconut oil for me.

He will become your star supporter as soon as you hand him that first luscious bar to test.

Thanks everyone! Eugenia, thanks so much for that tutorial on room temp. Definately gonna do that for my first go. I was hoping to try it today, but decided to organize my other stuff first so at least I'll have a place to 'put it to bed' :rolleyes2

Still trying to decide which scent to use first. I want them to 'stink purty'

Thanks everyone! Eugenia, thanks so much for that tutorial on room temp. Definately gonna do that for my first go.

You are quite welcome. My only regret is that it took me a few years to discover this method. Many of the problems that I ran into early on would never had existed had I known this method at that time.

Happy Soaping!

e

Well, to be honest I'm still staring at my supplies and they are staring back. I could say I've been busy, chicken or whatever and all would be true. :grin2: But the bottom line is it's too damn hot here...we're looking at 117 today and I'm afraid/refuse to mix my lye outside and won't/refuse to do inside cause I can't open windows or doors without sending hundreds of dollars of utility money out the door.

Did I say I was hot? Add lazy from the heat and the 50 somethin hot flashes have me ready to stick my entire body inside the freezer except I won't fit. They should make freezers larger!

ah-soy, you've been cracking me up! :laugh2: I feel like we all will have to surround you and chant

"DO it, DO it, DO it" until you actually make some soap!

When I mix my lye, I use the kitchen sink. Measure my cold water into a plastic container, put that in the sink, measure my lye into another plastic container, and slowly pour it into the water. I use a long handled spoon so I can stand away from the sink a little. I can't open windows either, it's been 100+ degrees for a couple of weeks. As long as you don't have a teeny tiney cramped kitchen, you'll be ok. You only need to stir it for about 10 seconds after adding all the lye. Then you can just leave the kitchen for a while.

OK, all together now ... "DO it, DO it, DO it !! " ;)

Nan

OK, all together now ... "DO it, DO it, DO it !! " ;)

Nan

LOL - :laugh2:

And it was 82 degrees & rising before 9am at my house today. Look at it this way - it makes RT a lot easier. All my "solid" oils are already melted.

DO it, DO it, DO it!

...When I mix my lye, I use the kitchen sink. Measure my cold water into a plastic container, put that in the sink, measure my lye into another plastic container, and slowly pour it into the water. I use a long handled spoon so I can stand away from the sink a little. ...

Nan

I do the same, except I put about 2 inches of cold water in the bottom of the sink so if I do spill any lye it will be instantly diluted and heps to cool the lye water. If you do this make sure the water in the sink is no more than half way up to the level of the water in the pitcher so it won't become boyant. Also when I take it out of the sink I put it in an old roasting pan that i have a layer of wet newspapers linning... just in case... As for fumes.. wear your mask and take Nan's advice...

Now DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote=eugenia;506102]You are quite welcome. My only regret is that it took me a few years to discover this method. Many of the problems that I ran into early on would never had existed had I known this method at that time.

Happy Soaping!

e

May I just say that you have received some fabulous advice from some wonderfully helpful people here? I finally tossed my thermometer and just did it! The lye is not scarry.. just wear your protective gear and do it! I read in one book if you just get it all in and mix it you WILL get soap! The hard part is making that first batch.. Brenda, Eugenia and several others here are just the bomb and they know their soap.. if I could I would support both of these gals with my soap buying habit, but instead their awesome soap (ask me how I know!) has encouraged me to make my own! You will be so proud of your first batch when it hatches.. now JUST DO IT!!!:highfive: I know you can!

Teri