storing wax

I've checked on this thread several times to see if I was the only person who couldn't see a need to put wax in anything other than the box it comes it--I just can't figure out why bother with the extra step?

I keep 50lb box in the garage and 'decant' (nice word) it into a big plastic rub (with a lid) which holds about 10lbs, because it's easier for me to carry it back and forth to the kitchen. Also I always make a big mess when getting wax straight rom the box, with more flakes on the floor than anywhwere else. I guess that's not an issue if you are using slabs.

We transfer our wax to a rubbermaid bucket also. Usually, by the time our slabs of wax are delivered, the box is starting to come apart - the wax is not always in a bag...also, somewhere along the line, I heard that mice like wax :confused: - not sure if that is true or not, but I didn't want to take a chance since our shop is located in the basement of my friend's house and she had problems with mice at one time.

We use 30# test fishing line to slice the slabs, and put about 6-7 pounds worth in those 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bags (and re-use). Then put the bags right back in the box for storage. Just take a bag out and throw the wax in the presto:)

It works for some people better that way! Das why! Not ALL wax is shipped in a plastic bag in a stout cardboard box. Likewise, not ALL chandlers have a shop in which to work and have to neatly store their wax in their home where cardboard boxes might not be welcome decor items! Some folks take a long time to go through a case of wax; other folks go through a couple a day!

Not all people are alike!

So if someone wants to store their wax in color-coded, hermetically sealed, plastic containers with a label stating the contents, date purchased and lot number and a stick-on thermometer/hygrometer strip inside to record the atmospheric conditions - hey! I'm good with it!

I admire their organizational skills!

If someone wants to store their stuff in the shipping container, I'm totally good with that too! And I PROMISE I won't bring my little dog near the cartons (even the best FO will not drown out the smell of poured dog pee candles) and I won't spill my soda on the floor by the cardboard box!

Viva le difference!:yay: