3-wick 6x6.5 pillar

Thx. Anyone try using 51z's?...all i have is 7" to test with but a local supplier carries 10". Thoughts?

The Z= zinc are mostly for container candles. They have a wire center made of zinc to make them stand up better in a jar when you are pouring.

Looks like your going to be in for alot of testing if you have not heard of flat or square braid wicking. Read up or do a search here for that size candle. I really dont know if many people here make them (dont remember many pictures posted) since they take alot of wax to make and if they are highly scented a person could have $15.00+ invested in each candle real quick.

Bruce

I've only made containers and votives. New to the world of pillars so obviously don't know what kind of wicks to use that's why I asked Bruce. I have been researching to find out what to use and haven't come up with much on here. I don't post questions unless I've searched on here first. Not sure why a local supplier would recommend them if they're only for containers. Thanks to others for your helpful replies :~).

mostly for container candles

Bruce

WOW I didnt say only for container candles!

touchy touchy hey? Maybe your supplier has never made pillars either or they dont want to carry other wicks? Sorry, I was just surprised you had never heard of those 2 wick types and have been making candles. BTW, if you get it all figured out I have about 20 of those big 3 wick molds (new) if you ever need more, Ill never use them.

Bruce

Bruce, I'm making 3-wicks for my own personal use and don't foresee me needing more than one mold but you never know, thanks though. I'm touchy because I get frustrated on this board at times when ppl post questions and get talked down to for no apparent reason. I just got a PM from someone else in search of wicks for the same mold. If I figure it all out I'll be sure to share...just the nice thing to do. In the meantime here's a pic of my first 5hr. burn with 51z's...looks too close to the sides. Comments?

DSCF0719.jpg

Yes that's a little strong for the first burns and its a real challenge to get that size of candle to burn a large percentage of the wax. Would almost be impossible to have all the wax consumed on those 3 wickers with out having to baby them along but you can get close. If your supplier has a 41z wick I think that might do you better. Lots of wick charts out there but each wax, scent and color combination can throw that off by a few sizes. Your starting right by digging in and testing one wick, now you know to go smaller unless you only want to burn them for 5 hours.. then it would be a perfect burn with what you have.

Flat braid and square braid will bend over as they burn almost like a self trimming wick where the zinc will stand tall for hours which is ok for a container but not what people look for in a pillar candle.

Bruce

Geez did i really say 41z? Ummm I don't think they make a 41 it was a 44Z that I was thinking about..... 36z= votives, 44Z medium and 51z larger containers.... then comes the big boys like 60+ size zincs for apothecary jars and such. Sorry to confuse you (and me). Bruce

Geez did i really say 41z? Ummm I don't think they make a 41 it was a 44Z that I was thinking about..... 36z= votives, 44Z medium and 51z larger containers.... then comes the big boys like 60+ size zincs for apothecary jars and such. Sorry to confuse you (and me). Bruce

I knew whatcha meant ;)

OK, finally got round to burning the big boy. As my friend was here (who actually has a phone with a camera AND can transfer the pics to pc lol) I got some pics.

This one was taken after about 30-45 minutes.

Photo-0243.jpg

These are after 2 1/2 hours.

Photo-0245.jpg

Photo-0246.jpg

After this point she had to leave and take her phone/camera with her (SOB!) I'll post more as the burn progresses.

Anjie,x.

p.s. OMG sorry the pics are soo huge!!