Testing 4627

I made some container candles using 4627 (my first time using this wax) on Friday. I have been test burning them yesterday and today and I must say I am extreamly pleased with the results:grin2: ! I am using 8oz Ball Mason Jelly Jars for containers (they remind me of when my dad and grandma used to can garden vegetables and fruits). I am testing two different scents using 51-32-18Z wicks. I trimmed the wicks to 1/4 inch before lighting. I am getting an even burning 1 inch steady flame. There is no visible soot or smoke being emitted and the jar has no visible soot build up. There are no wax hang ups and the melt pool is great. The scent throw is awesome! I usually don't have a good sense of smell, but I can smell these and I used the standard 1oz FO per lb of wax! I can't wait to test some more fragrences! I think I have found my favorite wax! I was a little apprehensive about the softness of the wax in the finished candle, but it doesn't seem to be a problem as long as someone is not deliberatly trying to poke their finger into the candle. The mess also was not as bad as I originally envsioned. I used a giant serving spoon to scoop the wax out of the bag and into a glass measuring cup for weighing. I don't have any pics yet as the camera needs batteries (darn thing really sucks the battery juice). Hopefully I can remember the batteries on my next errand day. I also had visions of my candles smoking and sooting to high heaven, turning the jars black, but that has not been happening(WHEW!). My only problem showed up about 24 hours after pouring; my chocolate candle ended up having numerous wet spots. There were no wet spots at all in the cake batter candle, and they were poured at the same temperature within 10 minutes of each other and cooled in the same spot. Go Figure! I guess I can't have it all! I just wanted to share my first adventure into the land of Comfort Blend! I hope my next tests go as well as these! I also have a jar candle that I keep refilling for my own use. It has a glass shade that will only fit this particular jar, and I want to try some comfort blend in it as well. It is about an inch to an inch and a half wider than the jelly jars, so I may have to wick up. Thank you for listening!

Amanda

It's wonderful stuff! Sounds like you had a great experience with it.. that's how my first time went too and I knew I would never go back. I have had the best luck with zinc wicks too, and haven't had ANY problems with sooting. Congrats on getting it all right the first time at least so far!!

How exciting...I just started testing with this wax also...but I did not have such an easy go of it. My jars are 3inch tumblers so I was getting sooting issues about half way down, I have also tried zincs and find them to be the most reliable. I'm trying a different size zinc today so will see what happens, overall I have had a good experience with this wax and it is definitly worth trying to fine tune...keep us posted on your progress and congrats!!! :yay:

Maybe then I will try this wax. I've tried many, but really not satisfied with them. I started out using mp123 from NG, but they discontinued it. Then I tried the j50, j223, and now the joy wax from NG. The joy is definately out. Not liking the whole (or whatever % it is now) soy thing. I really do like the paraffin blend better. Thanks for the info.

Before I tried the Comfort Blend I was using the IGI 2243. It isn't a one pour wax and I added vybar to it. The comfort blend is much simpler to use as doing repours in containers is a pain. I had to be carful and only repour up to the original pour line or there would be a line around the candle. I forgot to mention in my first post that I am getting some mushrooming. I chalekd that up to using zinc wicks as they did the same thing in the 2243 and when I did a search on the forum, others confirmed that they had the same troubles out of zinc wicks.I just make sure to keep the wick trimmed up and get rid of the mushrooms before lighting the candle.The scent throw is much better (both cold and hot) in the comfort blend than it was in the 2243. Good luck to everyone else who is trying this. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

I only sell pillars and have a huge amount of this wax waiting on me to test it - or test it more I should say. I get the most hideous wet spots with it! It drives me nuts. I pour it and all is well - just beautiful! Then, two days later, looks like a bubble factory on the side of the glass. I have poured in the winter and I have poured in the summer - same thing. I would really like to start working on perfecting containers and would love some advice. Once I get my formula down I will be producing at high numbers so little tricks like sticking things in a cooler will not work for me - I would have coolers everywhere! I need to produce a min of 100 at a time for it to be a product I add to my business.

Suggestions?! Help! I have customers asking all the time when I am going to add containers. I have one size I wish to offer and then maybe two others down the line - but not unless they look great. As well as smell great, of course!

I ordered a sample of this wax too, and it is SO easy to work with I think! (much easier than the C3 I have been trying to use) I got the mushrooms on the ones I've tested too though. and the wet spots. The mushrooming I can deal with, but I'm wondering how to get those wet spots to a minimum too....

I had a horrible time with wet spots in the winter but, right now in my oh so hot sunroom............they are doing beautiful! To cut down on the bubbles, let your mixture sit for a minute after stirring to let the bubbles release, same after pouring it into the pouring pot, LET IT SIT! Then pour slowly into the center of your container and I think you will see a reduction in the little bubbles! I don't weigh my wax. I put the whole block in my turkey fryer, melt it, and I have a line on my pouring pot for 1 candle, 3 candles and of course 6 candles is the full pot. much easier that way and definately no need to weigh wax.;)

Mushrooms.. they suck, but for me the trade off has been more than worth it. My customers could care less, and I learned to deal. Wet spots I learned to accept a loooong time ago. Like Indy, I just don't seem to get many in the summer, and I've actually found that I get way fewer with 4627 than I ever did with J223 or J50 so I figured it was a fact of life in this biz.

I would really like to start working on perfecting containers and would love some advice. Once I get my formula down I will be producing at high numbers so little tricks like sticking things in a cooler will not work for me - I would have coolers everywhere! I need to produce a min of 100 at a time for it to be a product I add to my business.

You really should cool them slowly but you don't need a cooler. Pouring large numbers can make it easier if you group them together and cover them. Some people pour them by the case and put them back in the box to cool. You can group them on a table and throw something over them or even build a frame. Try around 175 as a starting point for pouring temp.

You really should cool them slowly but you don't need a cooler. Pouring large numbers can make it easier if you group them together and cover them. Some people pour them by the case and put them back in the box to cool. You can group them on a table and throw something over them or even build a frame. Try around 175 as a starting point for pouring temp.

I rarely pour less than 100 candles at a time, and I wouldn't even know what I'd use for a cooler LOL :) I have found, as Top has suggested that cooling very slowly has been the absolute best trick in the world for perfect candles every time. In the past when my container candles have cooled too fast I've ended up with huge air pockets and nasty looking tops. Cooling slowly is key. I cool in the case and my cooling tables are huge. I've never thrown anything over them, with that many candles you shouldn't need to, but it wouldn't hurt either.

I pour between 180 and 190 degrees.

I pour at a highter temp somewhere around 185-190 ish. I have the turkey fryer set at 200 then drop it to 175. Kind of back and forth. I don't worry about the cooling in the summer. They cool just fine in the open in the sunroom. In the colder months they just cool too fast and have adhesion problems, and even if they look nice, the minute you get them cold you'll get the spots. No amount of heating, by hot guns or hair dryers will get rid of them for long once you've got them. Tonight I'm working an fixing some candles that got hit by the sun at a show I did this weekend and faded. I do this by putting the candles in the oven on warm and melting them and letting them set back up. I may give them a bit of a stir just to get the dye evened out a bit.;)

Thank you all for the wet spot information. I only had the one get wet spots for some reason. I am going to take Indy's advice and slow my pouring way down on my next one and let the wax sit a minute before pouring. I wrote this down in my notes so I won't forget! I do not have a spout on my presto pots so I just pick up the pot and pour the wax in to my pour pitcher. I think next time round I am going let the wax settle in the pitcher a little longer before pouring into the container. I don't melt the whole block because I only make a few candles at a time. I give mine away as gifts or burn them myself. One day I would like to start selling them, and then would start pouring in greater volume. I am still learning right now.