ISO softer soy container wax

We tried Golden Brands 415 & 444 & 464 last weekend for containers and these waxes were harder than I expected. This week we tried Ecosoya CB Advanced and honestly it was harder than I expected also... Is there a softer container blend out there that acts like this cb advanced but dosen't frost??? Can we add something to this wax to make it softer without ruining the non frosting capabilities it has.. I love the look, I just want to soften it a tinch...Thanks

I am curious - if you are satisfied with how the wax is performing, no frosting issues, throws well, etc., why do you want it to be softer? Sounds like everything is working well for you so I just don't understand why a softer wax would be more desirable...

We tried Golden Brands 415 & 444 & 464 last weekend for containers and these waxes were harder than I expected. This week we tried Ecosoya CB Advanced and honestly it was harder than I expected also... Is there a softer container blend out there that acts like this cb advanced but dosen't frost??? Can we add something to this wax to make it softer without ruining the non frosting capabilities it has.. I love the look, I just want to soften it a tinch...Thanks

I have used the 444 and the CBA. I also have tested the 70/30 from Greenleaf and the Accu-Soy 10 from Swans. Both of those waxes are softer than the CBA. Here is a link to the test results for the Accu-soy http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43406&highlight=accu-soy

HTH's

We tried Golden Brands 415 & 444 & 464 last weekend for containers and these waxes were harder than I expected.

The softer soy waxes are the ones with the lower melt points -115-119. I'm kind of surprised the 464 didn't meet your needs. Anyway, if you're wanting softer, try googling soy wax under 119 melt point.

A caution tho, this lower melt point soy can really be a disaster if shipping to customers in the summer.

HTH.

I still don't understand why a softer wax is desirable - can anyone help out with my question?

I don't really get it either and would like to know too. That wasn't a quality that I was looking for in a container wax. As a matter of fact, for my use (making container candles) I found that the softer wax that I tried to be a negitive quality. Dust and debris stuck to the tops (my house does get dusty :embarasse ). If you barely bumped the top of the candle with your finger when lighting it the wax would dent. I would have preferred a "harder" top but maybe Cami has a different use :confused:

The one advantage I've found with the lower melt point soy is I seem to get a better scent throw. Alternatively, the soys with the higher, 135 melt point seem a lot pickier. At least, this is the way it seemed to work out for me.

I've compromised and use the middle-of-the-road 125 melt point soys and have been happy with my results.

Again, I'm not basing this on any great scientific facts, just on my findings from using the various soy types that have been on the market over the past 6 years.

The reason we are looking for a softer wax is because of the type of candle lamp warmers we use. We make wickless and with the warmers we use they melt the wax from the top down and if you have a softer based wax it throws the scent stronger and quicker into your room. These are not the typical warmers that melt from the bottom up - just the opposite from the top down. I am working on producing a softer wax so the throw is better. But the waxes we've tested are harder based than what we thought and it makes the melting process longer and not as good as with the waxes weve tested that are softer. The other melts weve tested are very soft and they throw the scent well and melt quickly. We just havent been able to find this particular wax yet and have tried Golden Brands and now Ecosoya. The ecosoya seems to have the qualities we like, it was just a tich harder than what I expected. After doing some research the CB Advanced from what other users have said is too soft for tarts, but when I poured them the very actually just as hard as what we tried with the golden brands.... and in containers it was hard also...I tried a Bath and Body works aroma candle this weekend, and the melt point and scent were teriffic. It released the scent very quickly into the entire room and it held alot of scent in the wax. It is super soft, but it probably is a soy/paraffin blend. We also tested 100% pure soy melts that were really good and they are made with a very soft wax. So were trying to locate a wax that will fulfill both containers and melts. I would prefer just a soy blend and non parafin due to our customers requests.So this is our delema....finding a soft non frosting wax...that will melt well with our containers and not be so hard.

Sorry this is a little more complicated because of our warmers... We are not burning our containers so we need a softer base to make these better since they dont have a hot throw from a wick and rely soley on the warmth from the candle lamp to melt.

Well, I'm like everyone else -- ran as fast as I could from the soft waxes. My personal opinion is try Cargill C-3. It was so soft & oily I didn't want to handle it. It was still too soft for my taste. even after I tossed in additives. May not be what you're looking for, but you've already tried most of what's out there. Good luck finding something to fit your needs.

Susan.

Cami, you might look at the thread on adding coconut oil. Perhaps that might soften up the wax you are using to your specifications. There is also another thread about adding olive oil. If you are not going to BURN these, I don't see why you couldn't add ANY kind of oil (well, not used motor oil...) or butter or crisco to soften up your tarts. You could even overload them on FO if you so desired.

NatureWax C3 is very soft - it doesn't even make great tarts because of this - they "ding" too easily.

It sounds to me like you need a lower melt point. GB 402 has a melt point of 115-120. That will make the wax soft enough that your warmer will melt it and get the scent going faster. That is probably the lowest melt point in soy wax other than KY Candle Soy 115. It also has a melt point of 115.

I wouldn't use coconut oil in it. That will give you the opposite effect. It will make the wax a little harder. Using too much coconut oil actually will create cracking in the wax (don't ask me how I know :embarasse) lol