mushrooming

Ok I did alot of searches on this! including the web. Do you guys who sell candles get these little buggers? And your ok with that ? Is there anything to really cut back on these. I have tried everything. smaller wick,bigger wick,parrafin,soy,a blend of the two, differnet fo's and yet if its the first hour or 6 hours later those things keep ending up on the wick. when is it ok to have them? as long that it does not effect the MP? Personally I think it makes the candle ugly and sometimes it does effect the burn. And I have tried I think every wick out there. how come I don't see these on yankme candles or any other top selling candle? Kinda venting! I never did like mushrooms even the real kind! Any suggestion? thank in advance!

Mushrooms can be caused by the kind of wick you use, the wick needing to be trimmed, burning the candle too long or too much FO.

Cut down your FO % and/or change wicks and see if that helps.

Change wicks to see if that helps.

When you get them. blow the candle out and trim the off.

Also, soy does tend to get more mushrooms than other waxes and sometimes mushrooms can be hard to avoid.

Ditto what Meridith said

Do this:

• Go down one size on your wick. (and/or)
  • Cut back on the oil percentage. (FO)

If the FO doesn't work in soy at 6% I would personally would not use it. When I use FOs I do not use them above 6%. I use only plain old cotton wicks in plain 100% soy now - and honestly, if its wicked right, you should only get the smallest of mushrooms even with power burns - most definitely nothing that should interfere with burns. (Yes, even with cottons).

Also want to say, one will almost always get a larger mushroom on the very first burn then on subsequent ones. Finally, (most won't like this), let your candles sit a couple weeks before burning to make a final judgement - 24 hours is not enough. Not saying this for throw - its something about the wax - they really do burn better IMO.

HTH

Ditto what Meridith said

Do this:

• Go down one size on your wick. (and/or)
  • Cut back on the oil percentage. (FO)

If the FO doesn't work in soy at 6% I would personally would not use it. When I use FOs I do not use them above 6%. I use only plain old cotton wicks in plain 100% soy now - and honestly, if its wicked right, you should only get the smallest of mushrooms even with power burns - most definitely nothing that should interfere with burns. (Yes, even with cottons).

Also want to say, one will almost always get a larger mushroom on the very first burn then on subsequent ones. Finally, (most won't like this), let your candles sit a couple weeks before burning to make a final judgement - 24 hours is not enough. Not saying this for throw - its something about the wax - they really do burn better IMO.

HTH

HenryK are you making your own wicks? I bought some med cotton that I love, but they aren't quite large enough for some of my containers and the supplier I got them from doesn't make a larger. I usually buy pre-tabbed. Your posts are always so helpful!

For soy containers I've been using 51C to 62C from http://www.kycandlewaxsupply.com/wick.htm

Though I have always gotten good service from KY - I am going to start getting the wicks from Candlewic as I order other things from there and can consolidate my ordering http://www.candlewic.com/candle-wicks/standard-wick-assembly.asp .

I do have extra bases so when I cut the wicks I can reuse what is left. The flat and square braids are the only wicks I prime myself, which I only do if I use wick pins in pillars, otherwise, I do not prime them if prewicking the mold - and I only really do that with beeswax.

Its hard to gauge things when a supplier does the "small - medium - large - xlarge" thing" so I usually stay away from them because IMO you really need to know exactly what wick size you are actually using for testing. For instance, I wish I knew what size zinc the "Yaley Small Wire Wick" is because its working really great in my soy tea lights :)

For soy containers I've been using 51C to 62C from http://www.kycandlewaxsupply.com/wick.htm

Though I have always gotten good service from KY - I am going to start getting the wicks from Candlewic as I order other things from there and can consolidate my ordering http://www.candlewic.com/candle-wicks/standard-wick-assembly.asp .

I do have extra bases so when I cut the wicks I can reuse what is left. The flat and square braids are the only wicks I prime myself, which I only do if I use wick pins in pillars, otherwise, I do not prime them if prewicking the mold - and I only really do that with beeswax.

Its hard to gauge things when a supplier does the "small - medium - large - xlarge" thing" so I usually stay away from them because IMO you really need to know exactly what wick size you are actually using for testing. For instance, I wish I knew what size zinc the "Yaley Small Wire Wick" is because its working really great in my soy tea lights :)

Thanks tons Henryk! I'm pretty frustrated with that small, medium also, but I tell you the wicks are really nice in the right container. I'll try CS since I buy from them regularly. Oh gosh, more wicks to order? My husband thinks I'm having an affair with the UPS man and the Mailman!