Is it my nose?

Alajane

I've been busily testing some samples from Tennessee Candle supply over the last couple of weeks, using 1 oz FO to 12 oz wax (75% J223, 25% soy) and am having real problems. I haven't found one yet that is a strong thrower and I know that this company has a great reputation, so I can't figure out what the problem is.

So far I've burned Green Apple (really wanted to find a replacement for Snowtop's), Caramel Corn, Fruit Frenzy, Honeydew & Summer Berries, Hot Baked Apple Pie, Peanut Butter Crunch, Strawberry Wine Cooler, Vanilla Hazelnut, and Watermelon Patch and none of them have been very strong. The only winner I've found so far is Russian Tea and it isn't as strong as I would like, but I figured it's close enough that I can up it to 10%.

I had ordered 100 samples in January and wanted to find some good ones before their great sale is over next week. I've given all of them at least one week cure time--do their fragrances usually need longer than that?

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated!

TIA,

Jane

Hello,I ordered some samples from them awhile back and wound up selling ALL of them.If a scent isn't strong out of the bottle I usually move on and find a stronger one.Of course some scents aren't meant to be strong..In my opinion I didn't think any of the ones I got were strong.(I am sure others will disagree...) I have found stronger oils from other suppliers I like much better..I have seen some good reviews on them but I just didn't care for the ones I got....Karen~

Your question on the fos, since I use exactly the same wax 75% 223/ 25%C3, I can tell you that I just tested about 15 samples, & only one was good. I use about 8-9% FO. I just think oils aren't as strong as they used to be. I tested FOs raved about from so many. A lot of them smelled similar. It's like they are recycling names. OR maybe my nose has gone bad. Carole

Well, at least I've been reassured that I'm not entirely crazy! I get Chestnuts & Brown Sugar from them and it's wonderful! So I was hoping to add some more of their fragrances to my line to help make shipping worthwhile. With the 90 or so more that I still have left to go, surely there will be some good ones, but I'm not likely to find them before the end of the sale!

Sorry, bugtussle--I'm not Lori; my name is Jane and I'm from Alabama--hence Alajane (not a lot of imagination, huh??).

Thanks for the opinions.

Jane

I think it MIGHT be your nose. I use CB-Advanced at 9% and the Tennessee Amish Harvest, Blackberry Sage, Blue Himalayan Poppy, Carribbean Holiday, Christmas Splendor, Cinnamon Bread Pudding, Warm Orange Gingerbread, Lavender Milk, Spiced Apples & Peaches and that new Pumpkin Souffle is to die for. They work like a demon in my - diffucult to get a super cold and hot throw soy...of choice. There are other good oils he has - but I don't have my notes at hand.

Have you tried any of those oils?? I think Tennessee is right up there being one of my favorite suppliers.

Hi Carol....I thought you were talking just Tennessee....and the hair on the back of my neck stood straight out!!! lol I see that you did mention other un-named suppliers....when I re-read your post.

Guess I can relax now, have a sip of tea...and wait for my blood pressure to drop. lol

Itsjustme, thanks for the info. Of those you mentioned, the only ones I have poured so far are Christmas Splendor and Warm Orange Gingerbread--and it's been less than a week since I poured them, so I'm trying to wait patiently before testing. I must say the gingerbread was absolutely fabulous smelling while I was pouring it, so I do have high hopes for it--unfortunately, gingerbread has never sold well in my area before, but this one might just be "the one"!!

Thanks for giving me hope--I'll keep pouring and burning and hope I can get through testing several more before the deadline on the sale.

Jane

I'm surprised that you're having issues with the Hot Baked Apple Pie and Peanut Butter Crunch, but I don't use your blend, being an all soy user myself.

Did you also get a sample of This Old House? This one definitely rates house-filling status for me and is one of my favorites from them, along with their Creamy Coconut (almost forgot about this one - more cream than coconut but great in soy!).

Murphy's law being what it is, when you light your samples up again after the sale, they'll probably knock your socks off.

I never wanted to post a topic concerning this because I was also afraid it was just me that had that problem from Tenn. I really liked several of the FO's I purchased out of the bottle. They smelled strong enough and I thought they would work well. They didn't, not a good throw in my wax no matter how long I cured them. I still have a few and may try a candle or two again. I was so surprised because so many people seem to like them but for me they just didn't produce enough throw. At least not what I am use to in my wax with other FO's.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about Tennessee. I was talking about suppliers in general. I've been testing new scents for Fall/Christmas & am having problems getting strong, new scents. Carole

Carole, have you tried Peak's? Most (not all) of their scents rock me out of the house at 6% in paraffin wax. One of my friends says that no one (including the big guys) makes strong enough scented candles except me! :yay: