ECOsoy Pillar - what happens when........

you pour it too high?

Just made some votives with my ecosoy pillar blend, and like a muppet, I poured at 185 degrees, thinking it was paraffin! doh.

So, whilst they look very shiny at the moment in the moulds, what will happen? will they crack or anything, don't know whether to prize them out now and start again lol.

What temp do others pour soy pillar votives at, was thinking 155

Lol was looking for the same answer myself :) Got my pillar wax on monday and having probs getting the wick pins out too

wick pins = total pain in the arse. avoid them like the plague unles you want raggedy bottoms and chipped edges.

wick pins = total pain in the arse. avoid them like the plague unles you want raggedy bottoms and chipped edges.

I haven't found that to be the case. At first, when we used them, we did have similar difficulties. But as we used them more, we found out tricks like using them on the OUTSIDE of the mold to prevent the chipping along the edges of the tops. Filling the molds to the rim produces the same bottoms as would be produced if there were no wick pin involved. Any imperfections on the bottom can be easily smoothed out in the same ways we would smooth ANY pillar candle's bottom.

Many folks are scrupulous about cleaning their molds before reusing them, but folks tend to neglect wick pins (guilty as charged!:embarasse). If one is having trouble with the wick pins not releasing from the candle easily, make sure they are squeaky clean and apply a release agent prior to pouring. HTH

I put my votives in the freezer for 4-5 minutes and this helps to release the wick pin. I don't know if this works with EcoSoy Pillar wax though, I use a different brand. Just don't leave votives in the freezer very long or they will crack clear though and you get to remelt and repour!! HTH