Big time newbie, couple questions

Hi everyone -

The ladies at WAHM recommended this forum. I am getting ready to start playing with candles and am a total newbie at this. I have been searching old posts and trying to find out as much as possible on my own.

I would like to start with soy wax, or a soy/veggie blend. When looking at favorites it seems like there are a lot of peole who prefer the ecosoya or ezsoy. I also read (and agreee) that it would be beneficial to find a supplier close by. I am in AZ and it doesn't look like there are any suplliers in my state. I did find Ceirra in NV and there are several in CA.

I want to start with a small amt (few pounds, not a 50lb box). To test the wax and see what I think. I see that many companies offer a beginners kit....

So I guess my first question is what do you all recommend to start? Is a kit the best way to go, or should I order supplies?

Also, are there suppliers out there who offer free samples of wax (couldn't find much in the old posts on that)

I suppose I should add that my intent is to eventually sell these, so it is not simply for my personal use. Hope I am not coming off as a freeloader! I just want to research as much as possible and ask those of you who know what their doing before I order all the wrong stuff. I am totally willing to experiment :)

Thanks!

Jen

I would recommend starting with a kit, as it will give you a feel for wicking and help you to get comfortable with candle making in general. I do know that Bruce from Enchanted Lites will send you free samples of their waxes, if you just email him. I personally love the EL Millenium wax, and also GreenLeafs 70/30. There are so many types of waxes, and there are so many people that love each one for their own reasons. Once you get a few waxes to test, then you can do more specific searches here to find the tips and tricks for each. HTH!

I also started with the votive kit from Cajun, and I was completely hooked. And then I just researched everything I could to figure out containers, and wax and FO's. It took a while to get my wicking right, but I got it.

Just take your time, research, and test and do more research and test, test, test. You will need to test all your fragrance oils and containers, and wicks. But to me all the money and time testing, and researching was well worth it. It took me about 2 years before I was ready to sell anything.

And the people here are so helpful, even now 7 years in, I am still learning something new everyday.

Good luck to you!

• 2 years later...
Hi everyone -

I also read (and agreee) that it would be beneficial to find a supplier close by. I am in AZ and it doesn't look like there are any suplliers in my state. I did find Ceirra in NV and there are several in CA.

There's also Peak in Denver, CO, a favorite among a lot of folks on this board.

This thread is from 2007, but Lonestar is a good supplier.

[ETA] Oh good grief. I am so oblivious to some things. Wonder if the op is even still on the board? :lipsrseal

Edited by mzpickles
stoopid