Question about M&P soap

Candle Man

I have tryed the Ultra Clear (Coconut Oil) soap base from BCS and it is soooo drying.

Are all M&P soaps this drying?

Are there any other supplier that have the clear M&P base that is not drying? Are the white bases any better?

The first ingredient is Coconut Oil so that means that is the most oil in the product right? If I remember right isn't Coconut Oil good for lather but if to much is used it is really drying.

I would like to try other M&P bases if I could find any that was not so drying.

I made my first m&p soap today and I was using the low sweat white from SFIC and it doesn't seem to be drying to me. I got there sampler of all of there soaps to try. I do have there email with the ingredients in there m&p soaps. HTH

I've never tried the base from BCS so I can't comment on that particular base; I use SFIC brand (the low sweat clear, shaving & goat's milk) and think their bases are definitely worth trying out. The sampler package that the company offers is a great way to try out all of their bases without spending a ton of money. I've never had any complaints from recipients of the bars made with their base being "drying".

Not all m&p bases are created equal. Ingredients & processing will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some bases will be more drying than others. The best way to figure out which one you will like is to order samples from various companies :)

With that being said, it's also important to note that other things can make the soap base feel drying to the skin: some fragrance oils will promote a dry/itchy feeling. Some people just cannot use m&p - their skin cannot tolerate the different chemicals in the m&p.

If you like working with m&p, I would definitely suggest getting a sampler pack. Also perhaps experiment with adding small amounts of moisturizing butters & oils to your batches.

hth,

Lisa

I use WSP..I don't think it is that drying but I have oily skin... I have used the honey, oatmeal, goats milk, white, ultra clear, and shave soaps..hubby uses the shave soap every day..does not seem drying to him either.

Can anyone answer this part of the post above?

The first ingredient of this M&P base is Coconut Oil so that means that is the most oil in the product right, because ingredents are suppose to be listed in decending order?

If I remember reading from the old board isn't Coconut Oil good for lather, but if to much is used it is really drying.

And yes, ingredients are supposed to be listed in order of quantity I believe, but I don't know that it's guaranteed. Besides which, without knowing quantities, it can be misleading, there could be just a fraction of a difference. As in 20.19 oz of one, and 20.14 oz of another, so they're actually about equal. I tend to generalize a large size difference in a list at first glance, without knowing just how much there really is :(

By the way... I'm told Glycerin is supposed to help counteract they dryness of M&P bases. I have a couple from different suppliers, but since I "doctored" mine, I can't can't say anything about a straight base.