? about mia bella's candles

I make my own soy candles..I was asked by a friend to come to a candle party. It was Mia Bella Candles..From what I understand they also make their candles out of soy. I was told their business as a candle company was going down because they were not getting good enough hot throw. They totally reformulated their candles. I don't know of course their formula, but they added beeswax and something else, that they really won't say..Do any of you know if their candles throw better than the ones we make with just plain soy...Also the tops of their candles have almost a crystle look to them..I have never burned one to know how they throw..Any one out there know anything about these candles..

Yes, I have burned a few. It's actually what made me want to start making my own...because they are so expensive!

Honestly, they are my favorite candle (other than my own:p ) and the ones I have tried have all thrown VERY well. They burn clean and all the way down with no wax left over. BUT, the problem with MB is their business practice. They claim that they have an all natural SOY candle (which clearly it is not since it does have a crystal appearence.). I'm assuming it must be a lot of palm in there, but they definitely advertise it as a soy candle. Plus, they bash parafin.:rolleyes2

Anyway, they do make a good product and they are very popular in the "home business" world because they have a sales consultant program where anyone can sell them.

HTH:grin2:

They claim that they have an all natural SOY candle
Anyone claiming "all natural" soy (not soy wax) has already raised my radar. Soy wax is NOT natural - it is made from soybean oil which is extracted from soybeans. Ma Nature didn't have a thing to do with that except grow the soybeans. FOs are not natural - they are synthesized in a lab, although they may contain some naturally derived ingredients; even EOs, depending on how they are extracted, are not "all-natural." Natural wax is beeswax and (arguably) bayberry wax. I don't know of any other waxes which occur as waxes in nature without having to be manufactured from oils of some kind or another...

"100% soy candles" are NOT 100% soy - first, they are soy WAX (not soybeans or leaves or stems) and unless absolutely NO other additives including FOs, dyes, emulsifiers, etc. have been added, they ain't 100% soy wax either - unless the trickie-dickies are meaning that the only WAX used in the formula is soy wax! Some folks think that if a product contains over a certain percentage of an ingredient, it can be termed as the predominant ingredient, but IMHO, a soy candle should be termed a "vegetable wax candle" or a "soy wax BLEND candle" if it contains waxes other than soy wax.

"All-natural" is a marketing adjective that is supposed to conjure up images of purity and safety in the mind of the customer. If the customer believes (erroneously) that "all natural" also means "organic," even better for the marketing fantasy! People can be killed and poisoned by many "all natural" products just as easily as from man-made, synthetic products! The only difference is that the customers' guards are down because they believe that they are buying something that is "safer" or unadulterated by toxic chemicals because it's "all-natural." BALDERDASH!

What I also love about their candles is I have burned them all day long with absolutely no soot left on the jars and I have burned a lot of their candles as they too are one of my favorite candles. I don't know much about their wax though so no help there and it is true what Stella says, if something says all natural many more people are likely to buy it whether they know what it means or not :)

Angi

You can actually ask them to send you info and you will get some sample powder scents (which will blow your head off...strong!) They will also email you every day for about 2 weeks with tips for starting your business. I considered doing it as I do like their candles...but I like making them myself better! I tried them about 4 months ago again...don't know if this was new formula or not, but the HT was great. I'm not one to really care much about CT, because it really doesn't tell me what I'm going to get when I burn it...but I do like to be able to at least smell something when its cold and theirs definitely smell.

I use to lurk on the old message board here and I believe the post are archive. There was a ton of information about them on the former board. I tried to do a search in the archive to paste some of the links but they never would display any results. There was one that was very interesting from a former seller of the Mia Bella candles that had challenged them on there marketing and discription of the candle wax. I believe the person had received a legal threat to stop posting certain information on his site about MB. He sent the wax off to a lab for testing. I wish I could find that post.

At that time I didn't care for their business approach and the lack of honesty about their all natural candles. Maybe it was just the way some of the sellers decided to market their products but they were spreading false information about how their candles NEVER produced soot and that other candles were dangerous for the customer health. I don't know if they still do that or not but I have no respect for that type of sales approach. If the wax has a crystal like look it probably has palm in it and isn't just soy

Well I can definitely say that I have never had the black left on the jar when using their candles as you get with many other jars. And I am one to burn a jar all day long without blowing it out until I go to bed. So, if that is what their claim was about soot, it sure wasn't false when I used em :).

I am all for anyone who can give me a candle that does not leave that nasty black ring at the top of my jar.

Angi

Glad you like them!! There were photos were someone burned one and one from another candle company and didn't trim the wicks and they produced soot. In my experience any candle that the wick is not trimmed can produce black soot. Soy produces a lighter color but it can still soot. Of course the type of container used and even some FO's are more prone to soot issues.

They may have changed their sale approach and maybe they do have an excellent product. I was just turned off from the former way(if that is the case)of the way they did things. I prefer to make my own candles.

Anything that burns produces soot to some degree or another - it's a by-product of combustion. Even modern gas stoves, water heaters and home heating systems produce a small amount of soot. The only soot-free candle wax is wax that isn't burned. If candles are wicked properly and don't contain much oil, they don't produce as much soot, but it's still there, especially if the angle of the flame to the container is just right...;)

I too, was a former MB rep. I love their candles, but decided to make my own cause theirs are SO expensive!

I would also agree that they add palm & beeswax to make that crystal-look.

I much prefer the satisfaction of making and selling my own candles....as well as the compliments I get from my loyal customers!!

:yay: