SOS Review - FO in the SOS Grade

Kelly

Well I got them today. It was exciting. I also ordered some Shea butter from them which they packaged in a ziplock bag which I thought was weird. I have never received butters like that before, but hey it works!

I forgot that when I originally ordered I ordered a sample of the cosmetic grade and a sample of ultra concentration so I could compare. And really there wasn't that huge of a difference between the two concentrations, but if you can afford it go for the upgrade otherwise the SOS oils really aren't that light. Some of the perfume dupes were a little on the lighter side OOB but I figure maybe they are supposed to be since they are perfumes dupes.

If I had to compare them quality wise, I would compare them to gelluminations oils. They seem light OOB but do well in products, although I have yet to try one of the SOS oils in a candle or B&B stuff. I think I got nervous for nothing. I would compare the ultra concentration to Backwoods fragrances. However, there was one oil that I just couldn't smell at all... Heather Fields. I don't recommend it, although after smelling 50 scents maybe my sniffer was starting to fail me.

Over all I think they will do well. Oh, and the cosmetic grade oil I purchased, I can't believe anyone uses these on thier skin full strength! Yes, I have sensitive skin but I didn't like it 'as is' on my skin at all. Plus I accidentally touched my face with my hand and now my whole face itches.

Oh and one more thing... if you plan to place an order and order multiple "cherry" type scents... I'm fairly certain the blend thier own mixes because I got Cherry, Cherry Pineapple and Wild Cherry Vanilla and they all have the same cherry smell which is a very strong overy powering smell so I can barely smell the pineapple or vanilla in the mixes.

Yes, but I wish I could smell more of the other components to the mix... like more pineapple and more vanilla, thier cherry scent is very strong! But I like it. Some of the reviews on thier site said it was like cough syrup but I don't agree.

OOB reviews are never good to honestly judge any scent. Many do not show their true dimension until they are tested in candles or B&B and that's when their layers come to life. The reviews on most suppliers sites are from actually testing them, not OOB, and everyone has a different take on what they smell.

They seem light OOB but do well in products, although I have yet to try one of the SOS oils in a candle or B&B stuff.

I'm confused by this statement. How can you know they do well in products if you haven't tried any of them IN products????

I hope they work out for you, and you're probably right about your sniffer being a bit off after smelling 50 samples-dang that's a lot of samples to have to sniff and then test.

If I had to compare them quality wise, I would compare them to gelluminations oils. They seem light OOB but do well in products, although I have yet to try one of the SOS oils in a candle or B&B stuff.

The oil quality/consistancy etc. was compared to Gelluminations in the previous sentence... I have tested Gelluminations oils (even though light OOB) perform well.

Testing comes next there was no way I was going to be able to test and sniff everything yesterday, just wanted to give a first impression review of the oils OOB because after sampling as many oils as I have from various suppliers I can usually kind of see how it's going to go in my products based on certain OOB factors.

And as ChrisR mentioned everyone has different takes on smell, it is so true, because some of the reviews on SOS (oh and some based on OOB and not directly placed in product yet (but yes most supplier sites I have seen reviews, written by the suppliers, have been tested in product first, but not all)) are completely different from how I would review them and what I smell from the product OOB. So therefore we can only give reviews based on our experience but everyone would need to try them out in thier own applications because there is so many variances. That's why it's good to get reviews OOB too, because you can evaluate how things may work in your recipes based on experience and what the writer is saying. Could save you time and money in the end and personally I love saving time and money!

I can usually kind of see how it's going to go in my products based on certain OOB factors.

HUH what factors?? :confused:

That's why it's good to get reviews OOB too, because you can evaluate how things may work in your recipes based on experience and what the writer is saying. Could save you time and money in the end and personally I love saving time and money!

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. You really can never evaluate how a FO is gonna do in your products by an OOB review, no matter how much experience you have. I've had light scents OOB throw very, very strong and strong scents OOB have no throw what so ever. I can detect certain layers in a scent OOB that don't materialize once tested in a product or fade away totally, etc. Testing in your actual applications is the only true way to evaluate any FO!! There are no shortcuts, no matter how good you think your nose is!! :cool2:

Oh no, I didn't mean I had a fool-proof way to evaluate OOB only! Sorry! I agree you can never FULLY know without testing in the products, but after awhile you can be a pretty good judge of things OOB, but of course that isn't always 100% accurate method.

My intention with this thread was not to start any kind of arguement. I posted an OOB review please take it for what it is, if you don't like it, don't read it. Hopefully it will be of some help to someone who wasn't sure if they wanted to try SOS manufacture grade SOS concentratation but were hesitant. (I was asked in my other thread about 'making a mistake' to post what I thought when I got the oils, so I did so, I guess I should have kept it under the same thread).

But some of the other factors, I personally use when evaluating:

-Bubbling (shake the bottle, how quickly do the bubbles rise? Are there lots of bubbles? This is a good way to judge "thickness" of an oil. In my experience the thicker ones almost always are great throwers... but again this is not a fool-proof method. You just basically see what diluting agents different suppliers use or thier manufacturers.

Play with different FO's from different suppliers to see how the oils can be a little different (but of course they can vary for each supplier too because they may be using different manufacturers). Again, I never meant to imply this method is some magical method for determining good oils verses bad oils, it's just another tool I use when evaluating my FOs and it works for me.

This review is my OOB review and nothing more. I'm done with this thread because I don't really appreciate feeling like (whether it's true or not that's how I feel) I'm being attacked for posting something I thought would help others. If it didn't help anyone I wish it would have just been ignored instead of people making me feel like I wasted my time doing something I thought would be helpful (and per someone's request).

Anyway, no hard feelings... I won't post any more OOB reviews to avoid this type of thing in the future.

I didn't see anyone getting nasty or attacking, including me!! There is nothing wrong with a discussion and ferreting out explanations for the confusing material you posted.......that's all this was, nothing more!!

-Bubbling (shake the bottle, how quickly do the bubbles rise? Are there lots of bubbles? This is a good way to judge "thickness" of an oil. In my experience the thicker ones almost always are great throwers... but again this is not a fool-proof method. You just basically see what diluting agents different suppliers use or thier manufacturers.

Ok, now this makes sense. I'm going to start shaking tomorrow.

Ok, now this makes sense. I'm going to start shaking tomorrow.

I'm not sure I understand this part - "You just basically see what diluting agents different suppliers use or thier manufacturers."

How can you tell what diluting agents they use? And does this mean, the more it bubbles, the more diluted it is? This would be good to know especially since so many suppliers claim not to dilute their product. TIA for your help.

I'm not sure I understand this part - "You just basically see what diluting agents different suppliers use or thier manufacturers."

How can you tell what diluting agents they use? And does this mean, the more it bubbles, the more diluted it is? This would be good to know especially since so many suppliers claim not to dilute their product. TIA for your help.

NO - don't do that or rely on shaking.....

I mean you can if you want to - I wouldn't recommend it at all!

I have an oil that is very thin - very very thin and it is one of my strongest throwers. Been a top seller since I started in 2000.

HUH............Shaking to see what dilutents are used..........that's got to be the biggest bunch of hooey I've ever heard. Where the heck are you getting this mumbo jumbo crap!! Unless they separate (which none of mine do), how exactly would you know what essentials oils, etc and how much of each there are in a FO. Also just because the oil is thick, does not mean it's gonna be a good thrower. I have some cream brulee that is as thick as molasas and that damn FO would never throw, even if you put a wick in the FO alone and lit it!! :embarasse I have oils as thin as water and they use the least amount per lb. for drive you out of the house throw. How thick or thin an oil is has absolutely nothing to do with how it will throw or if it's diluted or not. :rolleyes2 And the only thing you're gonna get with shaking the FO is bubbles that don't talk, so you still can't tell if it's diluted!! ;)

You can always tell who the trolls are because they refuse to respond to PM's and just continue to post on threads without READING everything posted completely. RE-READ before posting things that are just out of line. I NEVER said to ONLY rely I shaking, I just suggest people "play" with things a little more to LEARN. Heaven forbid we learn a little something.

I also never said about being able to tell what essential oils were used... not even sure where you are pulling that one out of. What you CAN learn by playing with them is similiarities... oh sigh. I'm not even going to bother explaining further when you are obviously not even reading my posts just "jumping the gun" ready to attack. I was wrong about you. I guess I shouldn't have bothered sending the PM to discuss it with you, when obviously you just ignore the PM and go straight to publicly posting/harassing about things I never even said.

Anyway I am done with this thread before I have to add more people to my ignore list. I too have light bubbly oils that throw well, which I already stated this wasn't fool-proof.

And a little bit of information for you ChrisR, which you could learn with a little digging all FO's are diluted by the MANUFACTURER.

Ok done with this thread not even sure why I bother when she's not even reading what I post. Just wants to start a fight and I'm too busy and too old for something like that.

I'm not a troll Kelly, I did READ and REREAD your posts and they just don't make any actual sense. I don't post erroneous and/or misinformation, I've been at this too many years to play games with you or anyone else. You can play with your oils all you want, but shaking will never tell you if it's diluted, how it's gonna throw, what the chemical makeup is, etc. Diluted is the wrong terminology to be using and very confusing to any newbie that may read your post. FO's are made up of many, many properties, synthetic, essential oils, etc. I request and read MSDS sheets on just about all my FO's, you ought to try that, you will learn a lot more than reading how many bubbles you get my shaking it. Most reputable suppliers do not dilute the oils they receive from the manufacturer, especially if they want to stay in business. Yes some do dilute their oils and most, not all, list them as different grades on their sites. The only proper way to tell how good an oil is, is to test it in your application PERIOD!!

Putting me and some of the others on ignore is probably a good thing since we don't always agree with your obscure methods. I personally don't get into fights on this or any other board, unless I feel strongly about something....check my posts!! God forbid you should actually learn that maybe your information isn't correct, could be VERY misleading and people can disagree with you without being called a troll. :P