trying to make a layer candle need help

OK I tried making a two layer container candle for the first time and failed. I made Chocolet chip cookie 1.5oz, using a 50-50 mix of igi-4786/j223. I used a 9 oz hex jar. One good thing is with the hex jars no wet spots. Bad thing is after I let the first layer cool I poured the second layer and it ended up going down the side of the first layer so there was no definitive seperation. What did I do wrong? Also, I think my problem was that I waited for the first layer to cool completely. At what point do you poor the second layer??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

V/R

Tim

You should try pouring the second layer after the first one has set up a little bit, but is not completely cool (around 20-30 minutes for me). I used J300 for layered containers and you can't wait too long or the wax pulls away from the glass.

You need to wait until there's a pretty thick skin on the first layer, but before it starts to pull away from the jar. If you pour too soon, the second layer will bust open the first layer. It's timing, baby! LOL

I know this isn't very technical, but I poked at mine after about 15-20 minutes to see how firm it was. If the first layer wasn't too wiggly right underneath the skin, then I could pour the second layer. After I did the first few, I knew when to pour again.

I know this isn't very technical, but I poked at mine after about 15-20 minutes to see how firm it was. If the first layer wasn't too wiggly right underneath the skin, then I could pour the second layer. After I did the first few, I knew when to pour again.

"Not too wiggly" sounds just technical enough ;)