Desperate....Need help with candles not burning

Here's some background on my product

I have been using the same soy/cottonseed blend wax since I started, CD wicks, f/o's, dye chips etc are all from the same suppliers as always. I use the apothecary jars in 16 & 26 ounce sizes with a diameter of 3.75", also the same jar and same supplier as always.

My f/o % is the same, normally 6% to 8% depending upon how strong it is, the amount of dye I use in each has also been unchanged.

Within the last week I have had a couple of people return candles because they are not burning well, some are leaving hang-up on the side from the start some burn good until about 1/3 or 1/2 way down and then the flames gets really small and finally extinguishes itself.

I've tested the daylights out of this stuff, these are my regular scents that I have been selling for over a year now and have never had any problems with them. The customers who have brought them back are regular customers who have burned the same scents many times before without any problems.

I normally double wick my apoth's with two cd's ranging from cd16 to cd20, but I have had to wick up to a cd22 in most of my scents and still am not getting a good burn. Most start out ok with little to no hang up with the cd22 but by the time they burn down 1/3 or 1/2 way the flame starts to die way down and eventually extinguishes itself.

In the last week I have changed everything I can think of to make these things burn, except the wax. I have decreased my f/o load by 1% to 2%, which doesn't leave me with a very strong throw, I have reduced the amount of dye flakes that I use, still no luck.

Sorry this is so long, but I felt that I needed to give as much info as possible so maybe somebody out there can help me, I am about to pull my hair out and scrap candle making all together.

TIA

Jennifer

My guess would be its your wax.

This is actually not a very uncommon occurence with soy - it can change from batch to batch and often times, that change can cause an adverse affect on your candle. Since I am not able to test every candle from every batch, I always do random test burns just to make sure my candles are still burning correctly. About 2 years ago, quite a few of us soyer users noticed problems with certain lot numbers of certain brands of soy. If you do a search, you might be able to find the thread where we all discussed this. It might offer you some insight. But no matter, it is so frustrating, isn't it?

Wax is the first thing I thought of too, because it is a new box. But I contacted the supplier and they said they hadn't had any other complaints for any of their products. I don't know who the manufacturer of the wax is because the supplier has it packaged with their name only on the box. As for f/o, wicks, and dyes they are all items that I have had on hand for a while.

So I really didn't know where to go from there. I'm not really sure what the characteristics of bad wax would be. So I thought I would check with you guys and see if there was maybe something I was overlooking or possibly something else I could try.

But, honestly I've tried everything I can think of except for burning straight wax. Could this possibly help me rule out a bad batch of wax?

Thanks for your replys

Jennifer

Thanks Meridith and Vickey Co, there was too much familiar info in those threads. Drowning wicks, not a full m/p, having to wick way up over what I normally do.

In one of the posts it mentioned a crayon smell from the wax, DH made a comment last week about one of the returned candles smelling too much like wax. I just laughed at him at the time and said, what's it suppose to smell like butter? Maybe he had something and I just didn't know it.

Well anyway I'm going to contact my supplier and see if she has any new info or if anyone else has complained. Both boxes have the same lot number on them so no point in trying my second box. I guess I should feel lucky I only have two boxes, in the past I have purchased 6 at a time.

Geesh!! Looks like now I need to order a different wax so I can compare my results and make sure. Any suggestions on a good soy wax or a soy blend?

Thanks guys for searching out the threads for me and you input.

Jennifer

Darn Meridith we where looking at the same time most of the info is on the old board.

I was beginning to wonder if it was on the old board since I wasn't finding it on this board. Time just flies too fast and I lose track of too much. Thanks for help Vicky. :)

Well anyway I'm going to contact my supplier and see if she has any new info or if anyone else has complained. Both boxes have the same lot number on them so no point in trying my second box. I guess I should feel lucky I only have two boxes, in the past I have purchased 6 at a time.

Jennifer

Been reading your posts & without naming the supplier I think I have the same wax, lol. I did buy 4 cases of it & unless I add a tiny bit of beeswax, this stuff ain't gonna burn! Supplier also mentioned it was the same. I had been wicking with a cd16 or 18, now even a 22 won't do it. But the bw worked for me & there isn't enough of in there to cause cracking.

PamR

There is NOTHING more frustrating than hearing from a supplier, we haven't had any complaints so it must not be the wax. More people need to question a variance when they have issues like this after receiving new wax to change how a supplier addresses the issue.

Yes, testing every new batch of wax we get is important but when does the supplier step in and TEST their own new batches of wax before its sent out? I have seen one in the past couple days concerned enough at a couple remarks that she is testing herself and doing what she can to make it right.

I know which supplier is in reference on this one because I stopped using the soy blends from there. Too many inconsistencies. It's a shame because they have awesome customer service and quick turn around times.

I know which supplier is in reference on this one because I stopped using the soy blends from there. Too many inconsistencies. It's a shame because they have awesome customer service and quick turn around times.

I agree, but I guess now I will just move on and find a new supplier for my wax. I have narrowed it down to a few places that are close enough that I can pick it up and still save money. Plus I can hit the malls while I'm there. :wink2:

I'm going to order some small amounts from the following tomorrow and start testing.

Aztec International~they have 3 specified for containersGW464

LP402

LP415S

Tennessee Candle Supply

Celestial Soy Wax

Coal Creek Candle Company

Cargill C-3

Bluegrass Candle Supply

Bluegrass Soy

Bluegrass Soy Natural Blend

Any compliments, complaints or just plain ole' comments on any of these.

Thanks

Jennifer

I would try to avoid BG since their supply is not always reliable and shipping times can be horrible.

I agree, but I guess now I will just move on and find a new supplier for my wax. I have narrowed it down to a few places that are close enough that I can pick it up and still save money. Plus I can hit the malls while I'm there. :wink2:

I'm going to order some small amounts from the following tomorrow and start testing.

LP402

LP415S

Tennessee Candle Supply

Celestial Soy Wax

Cargill C-3

Bluegrass Candle Supply

Bluegrass Soy

Thanks

Jennifer

I ran into the same situation in February with a new box of soy. It wouldn't burn for nothing - a boat rope wouldn't even allow a FMP :laugh2:

My supplier immediately rectified the problem with a new box with a new lot number. But it is still sitting and I haven't gotten back to re-testing straight soy yet. So sorry this happened to you. I ended up using the bad stuff for tarts, wickless and waxed critters rather than junking it.

If they don't have to be all soy, I'm mixing 40-50% Harmony paraffin and getting a fairly decent candle. I could not get my 415 to melt in an 8 oz. jelly jar with even a HTP 1212 with no color or FO. It was that BAD batch from 2 years ago...but, I couldn't afford to throw away 200 lbs. of wax. They said I waas the only complainer. Yah right. But the above mix is coming along. Next,

LP402

LP415S

Tennessee Candle Supply

Celestial Soy Wax

Cargill C-3

Bluegrass Candle Supply

Bluegrass Soy

I'm pretty sure: The Bluegrass soy is the plain 415, the Bluegrass cottonseed blelnd and the 464 are probably the same and the 402 and KY's 115 may be the same also. Not to put any of them down, but you hate to order the same wax and have to pay shipping to different companies. hth. Beth

Lot # 02-25-07 TK5 SH2B 14:37

Hope that helps somebody, I sure hate to see anybody else get bad wax, or anything else for that matter.

Thanks Beth, I think I'll scratch Bluegrass Meridith also advised against them. I would much rather go South anyway, I love Tennessee. No offense to anyone North of me. I'm just a Southern girl who talks "normal" LOL and I can't understand a word you Northern Folks say. :D

But anyway, I guess I'll use what I have for tarts, and I have been playing around with the wickless in the tins so maybe it won't be a total loss. :undecided

It's just so frustrating to think you have at least a few scents that you can count on burning right, and them Wham! out of nowhere comes a wrench in the works. Oh well, that's why they call it life I suppose.

Jennifer

For me it was a matter of shipping and I guess just not knowing the difference. I didn't know about CT when I first started, so the only info I had access to was just whatever I could find on the internet. And we all know that is 100% reliable always. LMAO But since finding CT and the wealth of wonderful information here I have learned so much.

Besides, I was referred to my current supplier by someone who does candles and hadn't had any problems. I figured I can drive and pick up my wax and save money. Once I tried the wax, I liked it so I stuck with it. I haven't had any problems with it until now.