Expensive...or not?

Hi,

The Excel sheet does not come up--at least not for me. You could just post the prices? If they are in pounds, not sure that people in the US would be able to give you an adequate comparison as we can't be sure, even doing the current pound/dollar rate, what the going rates for those items are in the UK--unless you are quoting from an American supplier. Hopefully one of the ladies who post from the UK will see this.

I used to live quite near you in Norfolk (around Fakenham)--was down in Great Yarmouth several times. Do they still have the model village? I used to enjoy that the most, after the seafront :) Great memories.

Compared to what we pay in the US, that is expensive. However, it may not be expensive in the UK. Hoping someone that side of the Atlantic will chime in for you. Keep in mind, a lot of us buy from suppliers in bulk, which saves a lot as well.

Hi Lemonjelly

You really want to give this a go don't you?

Send me a pm with your address and I will send you a few small sample's out ... Free:D It's tough being an adult paying for candle supplies .... never mind an adult in training :)

Regards

Gaynor

Aww, that's very generous of you!

Lemonjelly I was looking at your order, and you're doing better than I can for bulk order prices on wax in NZ. What kind of candles are you making? You might need some wick sustainers, the little metal tabs that attach the bottom of the wick to your container or votive.

Ok, thanks gaynor72 Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks and Thanks!

Ill takt to ma parents, then send you ma adress. Would a postcode and house no. do? Coz I rlly don't want to be giving ma full adress out!

Oh, and by the way, Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks and Thanks

Lol

You are more than welcome :D

you can either send you address via private message (click on my username) It will give you the option to send me a private message, or it will give you my e-mail address, either way :)

Kind Regards

Gaynor

hi

just looked at your order and its middle of the road price wise for the uk, unfortunatly our candle things are expensive over here:( in comparision to USA.

I would suggest that if your determind to do this as you seem to be then one thing you really MUST buy is a thermometer(spelling) to check the temp of your wax, you can buy one from any good cook shop and please be safe:)

Just some helpful Fire Safety information!

Keep baking soda and a lid to cover the pots close to you in case a fire does start.

In case of fire, put a lid over the pot, that will cut off oxygen and put the fire out. Or you can dump a box of baking powder on the fire which will smother it.

Never ever use water! Water and oil dont mix. That will only spread the fire.

Definitely keep a close eye on the temperature of your wax, try not to let it get over 200 degree's F, you really dont need it that hot for most applications. And especially since you are a beginnner.

I'm rooting for you Lemon Jelly! I cant wait to see what you create! Just be safe and take your time, dont rush anything!

Good Luck!

Kim

Hi, do you have an online store, coz it would make ma mum feel better if u were a shop owner and send packages all the time?

Hi lemonjelly

Yes I do have a website candlebella.co.uk you can contact me via my website or email me.

here is a good starting point http://www.candletech.com/meltingwax/ this will give you an idea of equipment you will need.

Kind Regards

Gaynor

Would 2 different-sized saucepans work as a double boiler?

I will get a thermometer soon!

Thanks for the link, it will sound better if you have a shop than "This random person will send me some stuff, but I need to give him/her our adress!"

Would 2 different-sized saucepans work as a double boiler?

I will get a thermometer soon!

Thanks for the link, it will sound better if you have a shop than "This random person will send me some stuff, but I need to give him/her our adress!"

yep as long as there is enough water in the bottom one, but please dont use mums good pans as she might stop you before you get started!!

just a quick thought i know you say your parents wont let you buy from internet, but if you chat them up nicely, why not look into a starter kit which will include the bits you need some even have the thermometers in, that way you can see if you enjoy making candles without splashing out loads of money.

also a nice easy way to start is making some melts, that way no wick involved and you can get used to working with wax, all you will need is for starters a slicone/rubber ice cube tray,(ikea 99p) fragrance oil and wax.:wink2:

Hi Lemon,

I have a son the same age as you, and theres no way I'd let him near the cooker, let alone boiling wax lol. Of course, you may be a lot more sensible than him ;) I know us ladies are hehe.

I think it may be a good idea for you to start with that link on the basic of melting wax etc and equipment needed, but read it WITH your mum. Just so she knows whats happening and whats involved.

Who knows, you may get her addicted too, then she'll be off buying supplies that you can dib into :wink2:

I get my wax from Nattycat, my FO (fragrance oil) from Jo at Sensoryperfection, my wicks and bits from 4candlesuk. There are others, but haven't tried them yet.

Try the charity shops for saucepans, get one that sits safely on top of the bottom on though, my first didnt' quite and I kept getting a tipping pan with hot wax in!

Other equipment I couldn't live without now, but had to at first, are a thermometer (couple of quid off market stalls, etc, I have one thats actually for candy/jam) and a set of digital scales, cheapest I found were £7.40 from Tesco.

Have fun, but be safe, and be very very very aware, its highly addictive :D

I can't help with the local prices since I'm not in the UK. I just wanted to say Good Luck! You may be young but seem very determined. A bit of advice here... read, read and read some more. There's a wealth of info here between the links on the left, the FAQ's/ Newbie sections and all the old posts. First and foremost, play very close to everything you see about safety! Sometimes adult can be obnoxious over safety, but in this case, making candles can be very dangerous. Little things can cause big trouble. Second, make notes on everything thing you do. From what temperature you're mixing in the fragrance and pouring the candles, to the exact amounts you use, every little detail. That info will make it easier to help you solve problems later. Most of all, have fun. Experiment with colors, textures, different shapes and mixtures. Be creative! Just keep in mind that a candle is meant to be burned and aim your results to make it burn the best it can. :)

Even if your parents will not allow you to order online, you can search (Google) UK candle supply sites and compare their prices, etc. When you find someone from whom you want to order, most will allow telephoned, mailed or faxed orders. Good luck, dear. With perseverence, you should be able to learn how to make candles with the best of 'em!:D