Help With Gb 415 & 464

HELLO..I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM..I HAVE READ AND READ, TRYING TO LEARN ALL I CAN..

I AM REALLY HAVING TROUBLE GETTING A GOOD HOT THROW..I USE GB 415 & GB 464 MIXED..I TRY TO USE FO'S THAT ARE RECOMMENED FOR SOY. DOES ANYONE ELSE USE THESE TWO WAX TOGETHER? I DON'T USE ANY OTHER ADDITIVES, BESIDES THE COLOR AND FO. HEAT TO ABOUT 175-180 MIX IN COLOR..MIX IN FO ABOUT 160-165. I HAVE TRIED POURING AT DIFFERENT TEMPS. CURED A WEEK TO TWO WEEKS..

IF ANYONE HAS A SUGGESTION, OR A BETTER WAX RECOMMENDATION, I AM OPEN TO THAT TOO.

I HAVE BEEN ONLY TESTING FOR 6 MONTHS..

Can I ask why you mix those two? Why not just use the 415? What wicks are you using? Are you using quality FO's? If you can't seem to smell them, have you given some away to friends or family to have them test burn one to see if they can smell it? You might have candle nose too.

I haven't mixed the 415 with the 464 but I did try it with the 444. The 444 is the 415 with a universal additive

The only reason I tried it is because the 444 was so hard to wick when I first got it I was desparate lol Needless to say, it didn't accomplish much.

The 464 is the 402 with a 2% universal additive. It has a lower melt point than the 415 but can be poured hotter. By mixing it with another wax, you are basically "diluting" the additive.

Since so-soy already asked the questions I was going to, we will wait for your answer to see if there is something else we can try to pinpoint for you :)

I Bought The 464 & 414 To Mix Thinking The Two Together Would Give Me A Good Scent Throw And Smoothness Of The 464 And The Scent Throw Of 415..

I Am Using The Cd Wicks..i Mix 2 Lbs. Of 464 To 1 Lb Of 415. I Use 4 Oz. Of Fo..to This Mixture.

I Have Bought I Think From Good Suppliers..indiana Candle Supply..flickers...bittercreek...candlescience...willowwoods..

Alabaster...i Try To Get What Is Supposed To Be Good In Soy...

Yes Maybe I Do Have Candle Nose..lol..

Well it all sounds about right....but I would just try using the 415 by itself. You might want to try out with just doing a pound or less first so you don't end up wasting so much if it doesn't work out. When burning did you say if you are getting a full melt pool? What jars are you using? I would really have other people try burning them also, you would be surprised how others can smell them and you can't!

I Am Using The Terrice Jars..10oz. 160z. 260z...4" Diamiter..and Using 2 Cd Wicks Of Different Sizes..i Am Getting A Great Melt Pool When I Have Found The Right Size For The Fo..usually In 3 To 4 Hrs I Have A Total Mp To 1/4 To 1/2 Deep..

The 415 That Was Suggested..do You Get Alot Of Frosting With That...it Seems I Do...is That The Wax That Most Have Found Gives The Best Throw?

I Really Appreciate All The Input You All Have Given..this Task Of Making Candles Can Be Quite Challaging..

I Live In California..so Getting Supplies Is Costly Too..

Candlesoylutions Has Just Started Handling Gb Soy, So The Shipping Is Better Now..

I Also The Cargill's Brand Is In Calif. And Eco Soy Is Fairley Close..

Thanks Again For All The Help..i Surely Need It...lol

I also live in CA and I'm going back to using Cargill's C-3 only because I can pick it up from General Wax (or have it delivered for under $14.00/cs). IMO, with shipping and wax costs going up, buy what you can get reasonably and work out the issues. C-3 is really a great wax, I've learned to work thru the minor issues I had with it. I think I've tried almost all of them and spent tons testing...9 months later and I'm back to C-3 where I started...they all had an issue (I don't blend with paraffin.) The "perfect" wax really doesn't exist...although we all wish it did...then we'd all be :drool: HTH!

I don't get frosting because I don't dye my candles. Everything sounds right, so how long after you pour are you burning these? I am thinking you must have a serious case of candle nose...I would put them all away for a couple of days, let the house air out and then try burning them.

I TRY TO LET THEM CURE FOR AT LEAST A WEEK...I DO WANT TO SAY THAT I DO GET SOME THAT THROW GOOD..BUT I WOULD SAY 2 OR 3 OUT OF 15 IS ALL, THAT SEEMS TO REALLY BE WINNERS..THIS MAY SOUND FUNNY BUT IF YOU HAVE TO BURN YOUR NOSE TRYING TO SMELL THE CANDLE I DON'T EVEN WANT TO TRY TO SELL IT...ONE THAT I REALLY LIKE IS FROM ICS THE CITRUS COOLER..IT IS A WONDERFUL SUMMER SMELL..LIME AND LEMMONY WITH A TOUCH OF SWEETNESS TO IT..

YOU SAY YOU USE THE CARGILL..DO YOU HAVE FROSTING ISSUES WITH IT..IF SO WHAT DO YOU DO TO HELP THAT? DO YOU FEEL THAT IS THE BEST YOU HAVE TESTED WITH? I LIVE RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF CALIF. IT COST ME ABOUT $20 - $25. TO HAVE 50LB SENT FROM GEN WAX.. I CAN ALSO GET THE ECO SOY FROM YALEYS FOR ABOUT THE SAME IN SHIPPING..EVEN WITH THIS MIX OF GB 414 & 464 I AM HAVING SOME PROBLEMS WITH FROSTING..

THANKS FOR ALL THE IMPUT..I HAVE READ MANY MANY TIMES..TEST..TEST..TEST..AND TEST SOME MORE..

I WILL TRY YOUR SUGGESTION..I WILL TRY TO PUT UP THESE CANDLES FOR A WHILE..:undecided IT IS A BAD ADDICTION...:D

Have you read the thread on coconut oil? Haven't tried it in 415 yet, but it did make a big difference in both C-3 and Ecosoya Advanced as far as cold and hot throw. You may indeed have candlenose as previously stated. Sometimes I can barely smell them and someone comes into my house and smells them at the door. I really have the smell problem if I've been pouring 4 or more fragrances in a day! Try getting out of the house and into the fresh air...it's beautiful in Central CA right now...it will do wonders for your smeller.

I Just Read The Coconut Oil Thread..very Interesting...i Think I Will Get Some Coconut Oil And Give It A Try..do You Think I Should Try The 415 & 464 Separatly With The Oil? Or Go Ahead And Mix Them As I Have Been Doing? I Will Try To Get Some Tonight And Test With A Scent That Did Not Throw Good, And See What Happens..

So To 3lbs I Need To Put About 1 1/2 Teasp.?

I'm using 1 tsp coconut oil and 1 oz FO per # of wax...I would keep your FO same as you have been and start with just 1 tsp per #. I added it with my fo and stirred for about 4-5 minutes and then let it cool the rest of the way...stir again right before you pour. HTH!!