How do you stay busy in the summer????

Please, if anyone has ideas how to make money with candles in the summer, give me some clues. I am tired of slow slow summers. I wish I could take off all summer. But that is impossible. I just need some good ideas to make money in the summer. I am hoping someone has a thriving summer business and don't mind sharing some secrets. TIA

I don't like to do craft shows during the summer as most are outside and I like cover, but have gotten involved with our local Farmers Market and done well. Have met a lot of locals [i'm in a small town] and they have gotten so they just call their orders in and stop by the house or have me bring their orders to market. It is a few hours on Saturday and it keeps some working capital in the bank.

Another idea and something I've not done is a candle party. Some do very well at these events. If you are slow it might be a good time to develop a web site so you can refer new customers to it for future orders. Or work on brochures.. I never seem to have enough time to get those done for handing out at shows.

I hear you, this business is hard to make ends meet in the summer time.

You can try car fresheners & room sprays, that also work for car fresheners. They sell better than candles, for me, in the HOT summer.

I don't know of much more that brings in money, during the summer time. You can always get ready for Fall & Christmas during the slow summer time, but it still doesn't bring in any money right now.

I have found that lotions, lotion sticks and aroma beads sell well during the summer. Farmers Markets are good too (until the weather gets too hot and melts my candles!).

I'm also keeping busy with my wholesale orders - I don't know how these stores sell candles during the summer!!

Susan

WOW...I am super busy in the summer months. I think my summer business with candles is because I live in a Tourist town and the name of the town is in my company name. I also supply the local spa with their Foot scrub and soak..tis pedicure season! And Salt Glows...oh man I cant keep up with those.

Do you have Wholesale accounts? Maybe try doing some home shows instead of festivals and such.

I just starting doing summer shows and loving every minute. Didn't realize there were shows in summer. Not alot of money but really meet some nice people and WOW the raves. I do have a e-z up and so far things are fine. Last show was windy and kinda havoc but a blast. None of the candles melted I assume because of the breeze. I am going to check out a few more. My husband dreads them but when we get there he has fun and ready for another. Candles are the seller. :) I am not making bunches but enjoying myself. I do make my booth fee 3-4 times so I am OK. Not out to make a killing. Would love to but just want to get out there and hope to start pushing this business harder soon.

Some of my fall shows my candles melt. Shows at the end of August or first of Sept. I think it seems to be the heavier/strong scents. Doesn't bother me and so far no one else seems to think it is a problem.

LynnS

Wholesale is the only way to go for me. I started wholesaling in 2005 and since than my business has boomed and it has kept me busy year around. I have outgrown my home so we are building a 20x25 shop in the back of our property for more space.. I highly recommend Bath&Body products to add or any other crafts that you want to add to your business. I have been making candles for years and this year I am getting calls from gift stores to carry my products. I am not making a ton of money but I am doing what I really love and make enough to live on.