When to poke relief holes

I am a newbie and need some help on that. I have made 2 candles so far - first one - I poked holes in about 15-20mins and had melted wax coming through the holes ( i repeated poking for 2-3 times, topped up after that and candle was OK). Last night a made a tall - 7inch pillar and the sides are caved in. I poked the holes quite late - in about 2-2 1/2 hours after initial pour as I was doing layers. When I poked no melted wax came through the holes - was I too late. Please advise me on some approximate timing for poking the relief holes?

Question 2: When I do the re-pour it sits kind of detached and slightly different coloured from the candle and you can see it clearly - as if I've stuck it on the candle - what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help - much appreciated!

Hi Vess, I'm a newbie too.. 'til now I poke reliefe holes when the wak forms a film on the surface.. then I keep them open (I come back several times and reopen them).

I'v been told to go til 3/4 of the height of candle.

The final repour I heat wax at about 190-200° F.. I nevere notice difference in color.

Sorry if I can't tell you more!

Thanks for the suggestions - repour temperature - I admit I have been lazy the second time and did not use the thermometer for the repour! Will have to be strict and heat wax properly.

Will try again tonight. I am thinking of embedding sea shells too in a smaller block candle. Can't wait..

Also when u repour you dont want to go above the original pour. Thats why you get a line. Its hard to do sometimes, but looks better.

I poke my holes 30 min or so after I pour. I repoke as it cools. Not sure what the best depth is the poke, never really seen any info that said how deep to make them. I generally end up with inche or so deep.