Food Colouring and Wicks?

Most food colorings are water based. They aren't meant for candle making. Check with your local Michaels or Joannes. They have these kinds of things to get an idea of what you are looking for. Or you can order a kit on line, there are alot of different suppliers that carry kits. You can search for a supplier that is close to you so shipping wouldn't be too bad.

HTH

I live in the UK, and my parents refuse to buy over the internet, so is there any household produck I could use?

I suppose I could use cheap coloured wax from other candles. Does anyone know about making your own wicks?

Are there any craft stores near you? Check into the craft areas. In a pinch, you could probably use crayons. They are not recommended though. Remelted candles will have to be strained to remove any debris.

I have no idea on how you would go about making your own wicks. Sorry.

Once upon a time people did used to melt crayons for color. These days most crayons have way too much plastic in them. They will clog a wick in no time.

If you are using cheap colored candles you could find the darkest colors possible, chop them up small and keep adding bits of colored wax until you have the color you wish.

As for straining old wax I find a piece of old pantyhose works great and gets all the little burned black bits out. If it's a new candle you just have to remove the wick itself. Unless of course they have put weird things in the wax like seashells or leaves.

If your parents dont mind you experimenting with burning things ;-) there are many things you could experiment with. Google brought up this page on a search for "non traditional candle wicks"

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20030235797.html

Coffee filters....hmmmm. Obviously someone wants to patent it, which I find is a hoot. Patent creative uses for coffee filters?

I have done a certain amount of my own experimenting with wicks. Have tried popsicle sticks and veneer, have tried those reed thingies from reed diffusers, tried dry pithy sticks from trees, rolled up wax paper and paper towel. Still find that traditonal wicks give me the best consistent burn.

Traditonal Japanese candles use "rush fibres at the core with specially prepared paper coiled around it": Traditonal Japanese homes were built of paper and wood so they were pretty concerned about a safe candle.

http://www.pingmag.jp/2006/05/30/japanese-candle-making/

Anyway, have fun experimenting. Let us know if you discover something cool.

I live in the UK, and my parents refuse to buy over the internet, so is there any household produck I could use?

I suppose I could use cheap coloured wax from other candles. Does anyone know about making your own wicks?

not sure where in the uk you are but do you have a Hobby craft by near you as they have a small range of candle making stuff

if you let us know where abouts you are can try and point you in right direction, some craft shops have a walk in where you can browse, ie craft wise in leeds

not sure about making your own wicks some one else may be able to help you

http://www.craft-fair.co.uk/suppliers.cfm?SubCatno=144&category=Candle%20Making

Is it just string covered in wax?

Technically it could be called string, but it's by no means "just string". It's specially braided/woven with different amounts of threads, different thicknesses and with tightness of the weave to work with different kinds and blends of wax and sizes of candles.

That's not to say you couldn't try coating sting in wax, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. :(

Hopefully some others here will be able to help you find a store or two local to buy proper supplies though :)

Hi,

I was wondering whether food colouring could be used instead of the proper dye.

Is is possible to make your own wicks, if yes, how do you do it? Is it just string covered in wax?

Thanks in advance!

Years ago when I first started I thought I would save money by using food dyes....I could never have been so wrong! What a disaster! I not only wasted my time but my candle materials also. So, to make a long story short,,,,,I only use the proper candle dyes.

I think you can make a wick that works well enough for demonstration purposes but I don't know whether you can make a practical one.

Candle wick is specially braided using very specific materials. Some thin twine made of natural fibers might suffice for experimental purposes. Then you have to "pickle" the wick in a solution of salts to prevent it from burning off too quickly when lit. All wicking is chemically treated in some way or it wouldn't work. I think boric acid is one of the things you can use.

That's about all I know. Maybe you can turn up some other info on the Web.