Having problems with GB415

I have been using GB415 with 10% fo in 8oz jelly jars. I have used both Indiana Candle Supply or Millcreek fo's. For the test candles I heat the wax to 180 degrees, ad little color at 180 and fo at 175, stirring 2 minutes and pour at around 100 degrees after stirring again. I have used Candlewealth 3C wicks and various sizes of HTP's, I keep changing the wicks when one dosen't work. I cure them from 1 to 2 weeks. I burn them and have nothing. Others take them to try and get nothing. After several tries I put the jar on my warming plate or tart burner and they smell great, just not when the wicks are burned. This is several fo's. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me please???

well not sure if I can help or not, but..I have been using gb415 and love it..

have you tried to use less FO? 10% seems like an overload. I usually use about 6 maybe 7%....I heat mine to 170, mix everything in and pour around 105..I do have to put the heat gun to the top to smooth it out but no biggie there...

I am currently using htp 83 wicks and they seem to be doing good...of course I have not used the size jar you are talking about though..

I would start by lowering the FO a bit, it may be to much for the wick..(so I hear)..

HTP wicks, soy and jelly jars are the strangest thing I have seen yet lol I have seen some have great luck with 83 and some go all the way up to 105 in these jars for their results.

I personally use CD wicks because they are more consistent. A CD 12 works great with my 415 and 8 oz JJ. Some have even had great results with a CD 10. I also have had problems with certain scents not throwing for me for nothing but they do great for others. I finally gave in and now add some paraffin to my candles and get an awesome throw but I really tried to avoid that.

Like Chris said, take your FO down a little and see if that can improve your throw. Sometimes less is more.

What kind of melt pool are you getting?

The melt pool is usually good, 1/4 to 1/2" in 2 hrs, the heavier fo's don't reach the sides of the jars then the flame gets real weak.

It's typical of heavier FO's doing this, I have had to wick up on a few and even gave up on a few because I couldn't get them wicked.

You are getting a good melt pool though. I let my soy candles cure any where from 4 - 7 days for my stronger FO's and if I burn one that doesn't give me much of a throw, I put the lid back on it and let it sit on the back burner to cure more while I test other candles.

I can TOTALLY relate to your frustration though. I can make the strongest smelling tarts from the SAME batch as I make a candle but add that stupid wick to it and sometimes they don't throw at all.

I really would try cutting back a little on the FO and see if it might help. Sometimes too much FO can have adverse results. I always start my testing at 1 oz per pound. I will make 2 - 8 oz candles and either a few small tarts or a clamshell with this batch to test. If the throw will fill up a bathroom, I move it out to the bedroom and see if it will fill up the bedroom. I take the other candle and put it in my living room. If I am getting a good throw in there, I know 1 oz will work with that FO and note it. If the throw is weak, I will up my next batch to say 1.2 oz and try it.

They say what doesn't kill us will only make us stronger. I should be hercules by now with all this testing :laugh2:

Hang in there, it will get better!!

Jami,

You're so funny...that which doesn't kill us WILL make us stronger! lol I'm still tryin' to accept this saying. Lemme tell ya, it hasn't been easy!

~~hugs~~

Suzy

Thanks for the % tips...I'm going to cut back today!

Jami definitely is the queen of testing lol!

I am one of the ones that gets great results from multiple wicks for this wax, but I have to agree with everyone else, you need to start with reducing that FO a bit first, and then go from there. I use the 8oz smooth sided jelly jars and I have gone through hell trying to find a wick that will work. What is sad though is that I know each wick won't be the same for ever FO I try, so I am going to have to test an FO before I add it to my 'what's available' list. It is a pain, but I love my tarts! I make my tarts from the 415 and they have awesome scent throw for several days! I think I am just lucky in regards to those lol!

Good Luck!!