Big Question

DeJae

I have found a lotion sold by another candle company that has 28 items on its ingredients list, I have heard of some but not most.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this lotion, I have tested many bases, I am going to estimate approximately 20, give or take.

I have not found one that compares to this......

It sounds alot like the KY and is somewhat close but not the same

goes on cool feeling, glides nicely, they dries nicely. The part I like best is,

it not being sticky at any point and once dry, it is soooo silky feeling.

My question is....is there somewhere that I can give them the 28 items in order and have them try to make something close OR

By listing the 28 items, someone tell me which lotion base I can buy and add what to it to get somewhat similar to it.

Ok here they are....ready?

Stabilized Aloe Barbadensis Gel

- Cyclomethicone

- Squalane

- Glycerin

- Isostearyl

- Benzoate

- Caprylic/capric triglyceride

- polyglyceryl-3 methlyglucose distearate

- glyceryl stearate

- peg-100 stearate

- fragrance

- hyaluronic acid

- living ionic minerals

- calendula officinalis flower extract

- anthemis nobilis(chamomile) flower extract

- panax ginseng extract

- camellia sinensis(green tea) leaf extract

- retinyl palmitate(Vitamin A)

- Cholcalciferol(Vitamin D3)

- Tocopheryl acetate(Vitamin E)

- Beeswax

- cetyl alcohol

- stearyl alcohol

- allantoin

- xanthan gum

- methylparaben

- propylparaben

- dmdm hydantoin

- tetrasodium edta

- Stabilized Aloe Barbadensis Gel - used in place of water. Not sure what they mean by stabilized, that's not an INCI term.

- Cyclomethicone - a silicone, great feel and slip

- Squalane - moisturizing, wonderful for skin - an oil that's part of the skins natural lipid barrier.

- Glycerin

- Isostearyl Benzoate

- Caprylic/capric triglyceride - fractionated coconut oil

- polyglyceryl-3 methlyglucose distearate

- glyceryl stearate

- peg-100 stearate - a water soluable sterate

- fragrance

- hyaluronic acid - wow, spendy :) an AHA or BHA can't remember

- living ionic minerals - pure bull :)

- calendula officinalis flower extract

- anthemis nobilis(chamomile) flower extract

- panax ginseng extract

- camellia sinensis(green tea) leaf extract

(all those extracts are probably bought as one ingredient, I haven't seen a calendula/chamomile/ginseng/green tea one, but The Herbarie has a lot of nice extracts)

- retinyl palmitate(Vitamin A)

- Cholcalciferol(Vitamin D3)

- Tocopheryl acetate(Vitamin E)

- Beeswax

- cetyl alcohol - emollients

- stearyl alcohol - emollients

- allantoin - skin protectant

- xanthan gum - I guess as an additional thickener

- methylparaben - the next 3 are the preservative, can't remember which one has these particular ingredients.

- propylparaben

- dmdm hydantoin

- tetrasodium edta - increases the effectivity of the preservative.

Some nice ingredients in there! I bet you could find a lot at The Herbarie.

I agree with Jami. Holy cow, that's a lot of ingredients, and most of them not natural. I know someone suggested talking to me about recreating this as a custom base... I can tell you already, I don't carry at least 75% of this list.

But I'll take a quick stab at the list with rough definitions of the ones I know. Some I'm skipping over because I'm not 100% sure on what it is, and I don't want to steer you wrong if I'm wrong. I swear I've forgotten more about lotion ingredients than most people have even learned :shocked2:. The ingredients I carry, I know them well. The things I don't use, I probably have read a definition on them at some point, but no longer remember what it's used for. So for the majority of the list, I'm going to let you research. Just take each ingredient individually, google it, and you'll get more info than you'll ever want or need.

Also, looking at the list, knowing the recommended usage rates for a good portion of them, the Aloe Gel by far, is the main component of the blend. The other ingredients are going to mostly be used at 3% and less.

Stabilized Aloe Barbadensis Gel - self explanatory

- Cyclomethicone - light weight silicone, supposed to add a nice silky/powdery dry down feel in lotions. To me and my skin, when too much is used, however, it can feel greasy.

- Squalane - usually Olive Oil derived, very good oil

- Glycerin - humectant

- Isostearyl - I know it's an 'alcohol', so I'm guessing it's an emulsifyier, but I'm not 100%

- Benzoate - ??? not sure on this one at all

- Caprylic/capric triglyceride - Fractionated Coconut Oil

- polyglyceryl-3 methlyglucose distearate - Emulsifier

- glyceryl stearate - Emulsifier

- peg-100 stearate - Emulsifier

- fragrance - self explanatory, however, since usage rates for FO are usually 2-3% max, you know everything below this on the list is used in very tiny proportions...

- hyaluronic acid - moisturizes skin, reduces wrinkles

- living ionic minerals - this one I found more than a little bizarre!

- calendula officinalis flower extract - self explanatory

- anthemis nobilis(chamomile) flower extract - self explanatory

- panax ginseng extract - self explanatory

- camellia sinensis(green tea) leaf extract - self explanatory

- retinyl palmitate(Vitamin A) - self explanatory

- Cholcalciferol(Vitamin D3) - self explanatory

- Tocopheryl acetate(Vitamin E) - self explanatory

- Beeswax - self explanatory

- cetyl alcohol - emollient / secondary emulsifier

- stearyl alcohol - emollient / secondary emulsifier

- allantoin - aids cell regeneration, originally comes from the plant comfrey, but nowadays is usually created scientifically. But it's a very good lotion ingredient.

- xanthan gum - I believe it's used to thicken and add volume, but I'm not 100%

- methylparaben - preservative

- propylparaben - preservative

- dmdm hydantoin - preservative

- tetrasodium edta - preservative

I do recommend you double check my findings on all these. I did quick google searches, and this is what came up. But I'd still double check me... Like I said before, I'm not completely familiar with all these ingredients.

I hope this helps though.

I will tell you.... it is one heck of a lotion.

It slides on nice, has a nice cool feeling and dries quickly.

After it dries, your skin feels like silk, I just love this stuff.

I really like BitterCreeks, I have used it and add Dimethicone to it in small amounts and it comes close but not the same, still aways off.

Wish I had the knowledge to try and dup this as close as I could but I am a shot in the dark, still super new to lotions and soaps.

The also have what I consider a butter but they call it a creme

My husband has the worst elbows in history, the continuously bleed. Even the doctor has given him RX's for it and nothing works, but their creme is incredible, his elbows literally are softer than mine.

All the botanical extracts can be obtained from Aromatics & More, they've got an excellent selection of extracts, but well, they're NZ based. I took a look at Herbarie, they've got all but the ginseng.

Isostearyl Benzoate

- Apparently has synthetic origins, functions as an emollient

MMS has allantoin... I doubt a lot of those ingredients can be found in the home-based lotion-maker's inventory though.

What on earth are living ionic minerals? :confused:

You had to see the print on their bottles, geez, had to have son read and type it for me. Even with my reading glasses on, had no clue what it said.

I can say what company has it, just didn't know if it was allowed. Is it?

Here is some info I found on Living Ionic Minerals:

http://www.traceminerals.com/confusion.html

http://www.omicahealth.com/products/activeionic.html

From what I am reading, I found a lot of info on MSN search, it is simply Ionic Minerals but they are considered living because they can cross over through cell walls and through the blood/brain barrier.

Many water companies are now coming out with waters that are filled with ionic minerals because it is easier to incorporate in water. So this company is most likely adding a drop or two to their ingredients.

So it is actually a real thing and not "bull" :P , and from some sites it looks rather expensive!

Also, more people are apt to buy things with minerals in them because minerals are a vital necessity for your body, more so than vitamins.

Edited cause I found another interesting site on this:

http://www.microwaterman.com/Complete_H2O_Ionic_Minerals/Colloidal_Ionic_Minerals.htm

Angi

The Soap Box

You're on iffy ground here by posting the candle company. From this mod's point of view: ")

What you are doing in effect is trying to duplicate someone else's product. Or trying to figure out their supplier. Shaky ground. How would you like someone to post a link to your site and say "I want to duplicate this product, please help".

Personally, I don't think the candle company link gives any extra information. The list of ingredients is enough for discussion. If someone really wants to know it for whatever they can PM you for the site.

Thanks Robin! That is what I thought and why I didn't mention it.

It is not a small company like most of us but still I didn't think I should and the MOD has spoken!

Sorry to say, I don't think I will be duping it because I don't have enough knowledge in this, yet, but it seems like something I don't have the money for either!!! lol

ETA: Thank you for the info on the ionic minerals or whatever they are called.

The mineral thing was a good learner for me. I've always just called em good ole minerals :), so now I know the difference between the ones that are in the waters now and the ones you find in Dead Sea Salt. I know I now see lots of waters that are packed with minerals but never seen it listed as living ones so it peaked my attention when I saw it listed.

I am interested in trying out this lotion for myself if you wouldn't mind pming me the name. Not trying to duplicate it as I strictly stick with pre-made bases lol! Kudos to those of you that can create your own lotion base, that is awesome, but I am not awesome enough to try on my own:p .

Angi

The Soap Box