I need your opinions!

I just joined this board after a few weeks of lurking - what a great resource! I am new to making candles but have just fallen in love with the whole process.

I am using C3 wax with 4" diameter apothecary jars. I have read that most people double wick these jars but I really like the look better of a single wick. Have you all found that customers prefer one look to the other? I guess they would have to accept some tunneling if I stayed with the 1 wick option.

I originally tried ECO wicks with a smaller jar and found that they gave off a lot of soot - have any of you had that problem? I switched to the LX series but am not sure if I gave up too early or not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Hope you get some responses because I can't get one to work without double wicking on the 4". The LX wicks do the best but they shroom soooo badly, I'm thinking about trying another type. I just bought some Eco wicks but I quit using the 4" container so the wicks are for 3"....can't test the 4" yet. The LX wicks are the only ones that also drop burnt bits into the wax when you extinguish every time! Love the MP, but wondering if its worth the mess it makes?

I use the C3 with the LX series wicks and they seem to work the best for me. I agree KandleKrazy, they do shrooom but hafta keep them trimmed. I tried the CD's and wasn't happy with them at all. I didn't like the way the wick would bend over right away.

I LOVE CANDLES:

When testing, can't give up too soon on anything. And that size jar definitely needs double wicking otherwise you'll have too much hang up.

HTH

I am new to the candle making also. I have been testing for two months now- LX, RRD, HTP, ECO, CSN.. I read anything over 3" diameter you should always double wick. I'm having a hard time trying to wick my 2.5". I agree with you about the ECO wicks. They did give off smoke but it seemed to calm down after about an hour. And the ECO12 has been the only wick to give me a full burn pool. Thank goodness for this forum is right.

Munch, you probably already know this but several sites have wick guides. Candle Science has a pretty extensive one, which wick works with which wax and size of container. Not foolproof but surely a good start. Saves you from trying everything out there.