New and "Dyeing" to figure it out.

Guest LightofDawn

Guest LightofDawn

First, I would like to say HI to everyone. Although this is my first post I have been lurking for quite some time and learning so much from everyone.

I poured my first candles last week using 100% C-3. I now fully understand what a sink hole, tunneling and frosting mean because I got all three on the first try. :laugh2:

Currently I'm using the Reddig Glo Dye chips and I just can't get the depth of color I would like. I am thinking about switching to liquid dye. Can someone give me any recommendations. Also, is there anyone who sells a (not so expensive) liquid dye startup kit or offer a discount for buying in quantities (such as one ounce of every color).

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the joys of soy candlemaking!

I use C-3 as well and I definitely had all the same problems when I first started out, so I can surely relate! If you are looking for depth in color I would suggest using dye flakes. I started out using liquid dye, but soon found it isn't possible to get darker colors, unless you use alot of dye, which would cause burning issues.

You will find on the deeper colors you will still end up with some slight frosting, if you are using the C-3 straight (with no additives). This is the nature the wax. I found adding 2-3% universal soy additive helps with this as well as smoothing out the appearance of the wax. You can find this stuff and Just By Nature or Candlemaker Store (this is where I get mine from).

As far as where to purchase the dye flakes, the only two I have tried are BCN and Candle Cacoon. Both work well. If you want to try several different colors at small amount I would recommend Candle Cacoon for that, they sell by the 1/2 oz and I believe they are only $1.75

Dawn

Guest LightofDawn

Thanks Dawn (Great name by the way!!)

I looked at Candle Cocoon and I could only find Crystals or Diamonds, no flakes. I did find them at BCN. However, it looks like I will need to upgrade to a better scale than I have, since it says to measure them in grams. I'm not necessarily looking to make the colors dark. I like the pastels, but they are to light. (The sky blue looks more like white to me)

Do you know if I can add more than one dye chip per pound without having other problems?

I did purchase some of the Universal additive but have not yet had time to try it out. I spent the entire weekend trying to wick one jar. Ughhh.. After seven different wicks I think I finally found the right one. (That is until I try a different fragrance).

Thanks for all you help,

Dawn

I use liquid dye from Brambleberry and it seems to me I've seen in several places that soy wax doesn't take the deep colors well it's been recommended to add a TINY bit of black to get depth.

I've seen that said somewhere on several sites I've been to, but now I'm having a brain cramp and can't remember where they were. While I'm willing to concede that I don't know everything ( I'd never admit that to my husband:laugh2: ), maybe someone else has a better way of getting those deep dark colors in a way that wont clog the wicks.

Kim

Thanks Dawn (Great name by the way!!)

I looked at Candle Cocoon and I could only find Crystals or Diamonds, no flakes. I did find them at BCN. However, it looks like I will need to upgrade to a better scale than I have, since it says to measure them in grams. I'm not necessarily looking to make the colors dark. I like the pastels, but they are to light. (The sky blue looks more like white to me)

Do you know if I can add more than one dye chip per pound without having other problems?

I did purchase some of the Universal additive but have not yet had time to try it out. I spent the entire weekend trying to wick one jar. Ughhh.. After seven different wicks I think I finally found the right one. (That is until I try a different fragrance).

Thanks for all you help,

Dawn

You can add more than one dye chip per pound. I use the dye chips. And when I started out, I was always getting so frusterated that my colors weren't coming out the way I thought they should. I've had to use up to 3 chips per pound inorder to get the color I may want.

HTH

Ash

We use C-3 and liquid dye from JBN. Although I started with the prime colors (red, blue, yellow) and mixed my own shades, they now have a nice line of shades. The advantage is that for a deeper shade, you will not need as much as if you mix yer own. We get pretty deep tones, but are still searching for a BLACK black .:)

Guest LightofDawn

Thanks all,

I am going to try using more than one chip for the time being. As soon as the finances allow it I am going to give the liquid and the dye flakes a try.

Thanks again,

Dawn

Or you could save some $$ and quit using dye altogether which is what I did. The dye was frustrating me more than anything. I got some deep colors (I also use C-3) but was ending up with frosting or tiny specks of "undissolved dye?" throughout with some colors (adding at 170-175 and stirring until my hand wanted to fall off!.) I used the chips, blocks and liquid. Anyway, point I was going to make is my customers could care less, they love the white as long as their fragrance is there. I changed the names on most of my fragrances so that the "Mind" doesn't tell you it should be green or red or pink. The new names and the creamy white also allowed me to up the price a bit as they are now more like a "designer type" candle.

Example: for lavender I call it Serenity

yellow cake, Dolce

black tea, Zen

I used several Italian names, since all my ancestors are Italian. This allowed me to be even more "creative" and I love it!

I now enjoy making candles which is what I wanted out of this business.:yay:

Guest LightofDawn

I am considering carrying to lines of soy candles. One of which would be the traditional colored candles and another line of dye-free spa type candles. Right now I am just trying to figure out some of the basics. I had no clue at the extent of research and testing required to produce a nice burning, good smelling candle. Boy did I get a rude awaking.

But I have to say that some of the fun is figuring it all out.

Thanks

Dawn