Kind of a dumb question about beeswax

Jami

Are there different types of beeswax for candles vs. bath and body products?

I want to make some lotion bars and lip balm. The beeswax I have is from candle science and it dawned on me before I started melting that maybe this isn't the same type as being used in bath and body products lol.

Thanks!

well i don't make candles so i am only guessing that it is the same type of beeswax. if i am wrong, someone please chime in. also, does candlescience have a description or anything saying whether or not is B&B safe?

Thanks for responding crafty, all the description says is....description coming soon lol

Not much help. I looked at it before I posted because I had hoped to answer my own question.

I guess the only way to find out is just make a small batch and see what happens. I tried the beeswax in my candles because it makes them creamier in appearance, reduces frosting and can help with the scent throw @ 3%. It does make them harder as well.

Jami, you could email the company and ask. Most suppliers will get back to you within 2-3 days, usually sooner.

I didn't even think about that Carrie. I think I have candle brain fog from pouring candles all day lol. I did email them. Thanks for the suggestion!

I was looking on some B&B websites and the beeswax pastiles on a couple of them look like what I have so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am dying to make some lotion bars and lip balm.

Hey... something I know about!!

Kinda. Lol.

I do know that there is a cosmetic beeswax and then there are bleached and filtered and un filtered beeswax. I am under the impression that in order for it to be cosmetic safe it needs to be 'pure'. Many will have a small percentage (up to ten %) of paraffin in it. There is also bleached BW, and I can't tell you if that alone is ok or not, but the only way I have seen the bleached be sold is with the paraffin additive which is what makes it NOT suitable for cosmetics. So basicly just make sure it is 'pure'. Every pure beeswax that I have seen has always been sublabled as cosmetic safe.

Also, I could be wrong but the pastilles I have seen are sometimes white aren't they? And that would indicate bleached... but at the same time, to me- the whole point of the pastiles is for ease of use in lip balm production. So maybe there can be bleached cosmetic grade?

HTH some:yay:

100% beeswax can be used, it doesn't need to be stated as cosmetic grade. As long as the wax is filtered good, you can use it. Also white beeswax pastilles are just bleached, they do not have paraffin in them....I've been using it for years in my lip balms and lotion bars without any problems!! :cool2:

I purchase beeswax from a local beekeeper. It comes in a huge chunk so I have to break it down (literally!), melt it, then filter it through cheesecloth a couple of times to get all the dirt and almond chaff of off it.

It's pure beeswax but after being transported from the almond orchard with crates of almonds, it does tend to pick up some of the almond dust.

Also, I found that if beeswax isn't cleaned up immediately, it will harden into a nearly impossible to remove mess!

I have used pure beeswax (block form) as sold for candlemaking and I've used the pastilles. I prefer the block beeswax as over the pastilles every time even though it's a PITA to cut up. My main reasons are smell and texture of finished product. With pastilles it SCREAMS "There's beeswax in here" - I hate that. Also, the texture is not as smooth.

Anyone else experience this?