wick pin breaking votive

Last night I made (luckily only) 6 votives. I used a silicone mold (3 ounce), and Ky Para-Soy Tart/Votive Blend, an FO and metal wick pins. I used a thermometer and melted and poured as directed also I used a tiny tiny bit of chip for color. Tonight I removed the wick pin with the old whack the pin against a hard (metal) plate. The wick pin came out but about a 1/4 in of the wax hung onto the bottom of the wick pin.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to stop this from happening?

Chris :cry2:

Ummm... don't whack it? :laugh2:

Seriously though, steady firm pressure is less likely to split the votive. Once you start pushing and it doesn't seem like it's going to let go, trim the excess wax from around the edge of the wick pin base. You can use a knife or just your fingernail. It's just a tiny lip of wax, but enough to keep it from letting go sometimes. Try pushing it out again. If it still doesn't work, you may have to try inserting a thin knife between the base and the votive. It's likely to mar the bottom a bit though. HTH

I was wonderig if this whacking trick would work with soy but I guess it isn't looking too promising. Here's a recent discussion from the veggie forum about ways to do it:

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5042

And here's a method from the old board:

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1108350003

i always had a MUCH more difficult time getting the wick pins out of soy votives without damaging them than i do with paraffin. a little bit of mold release (or pam) helps a little. i eventually moved on, it just wasn't working for me.

i always had a MUCH more difficult time getting the wick pins out of soy votives without damaging them than i do with paraffin. a little bit of mold release (or pam) helps a little. i eventually moved on, it just wasn't working for me.

so does that mean you dont use the wick pins??

I have made about 50 votives with out wick pins...and I just ordered some wick pins to try and see it it makes votives any better...whats your choice?:cheesy2:

Really, really new and green at candle making but so far this is what I do - I keep applying silicon mold release to the votive mold and wick pin until they are good and seasoned. So ar the votives come right out of the mold but the wick pin will stick sometimes so I turn it upside down - so the top of the wick pin is touching the counter. I grab the votive gently and push down until the pin releases. I am totally in love with wick pins because I can test the votives I make with different wicks without having to make that commitment when I actually pour them :) So far this method hasn't left any marks or scars on the votive. You have to be gentle but firm though - if you smack the votive top onto your countertop when the pin lets go - well, that's gonna leave a mark ;)

I use Astorlite V, no additives for my votives.

Teresa

NO more whacking votives for me. If you are wondering why I did that I think I read it somewhere.

Tonight I put my votives in our freezer for 10 minutes, then applied firm pressure to the tip of the pin and it came out.

Now, if I can only remember to try some Pam on the base of those wick pins, that is another method of removal I want to try.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Chris