Emulsifier for Salt Soak

Hello all,

I've searched the forums and archives and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for so I thought I would go ahead and ask.

I have a salt soak that includes oils:

2 cups Epsom salts

1/2 cup Brazilian Sea Salts

1/2 cup solid coconut oil

1 tablespoon deodorized cocoa butter

1 1/2 tbsp sweet almond oil

1/2 teaspoon glycerin

1/8 tsp of T50 vitamin E oil

20-30 drops of fragrance

It's actually quite nice in small amounts (we found out the hard way that a little goes a long way!). :o

What I'm curious about is how much Polysorbate 20 should I add to make it more like "blooming oils"? I really want the oils to disperse in the water.

Also, I also have Germaben II and Phenophip. Although the recipe has no water it is going into water. Thus the confusion on which one I should use.

Any help would be appreciated!

TIA

April

Not sure on how much Poly you'll need, but I can answer that you'll want to use the Phenonip, not the Germaben. The Germaben is best in formulas with both oil & water. Phenonip is good with all oil blends.

HOWEVER, when you add the polysorbate, you'll actually want to switch preservatives once again to Optiphen Plus. Polysorbates can make Paraben based preservatives break down over time, eventually rendering them ineffective.

Thanks for the info, Lindsay! I did read somewhere (MMS or SDF) that polys break down but couldn't remember which preservative did that. I don't have Optiphen Plus at the moment, though. I'll wait on offering the salt soak with the Poly until I can get some!

Thanks again,

April

Can you please clarify something for me? If there is no water in the actual product and they are only going to use the foot soak one time per soak and pour it out why would you have to have a preservative in something that is only going to be used for maybe 30 minutes at the longest.

Can you please clarify something for me? If there is no water in the actual product and they are only going to use the foot soak one time per soak and pour it out why would you have to have a preservative in something that is only going to be used for maybe 30 minutes at the longest.

Things that make you go hmmmm:undecided ....logic is telling me what you're asking. I too am curious.

Actually, this is a body soak rather than a foot soak so there will be more than one usage per jar. I'm assuming that the customer will be keeping this next to the tub in the warm & damp. So it must have some kind of preservative, right?

And I'm also guessing that you may need some kind of preservative even if its ROE for a one time use soak (whether for body or foot). As I don't know if you make up your products before hand so you have stock or make it as you go, I can't really answer your question fully. But it does give food for thought! :smiley2:

• 1 month later...