How far in advance can you make candles?

when do you start making christmas stock?

I know this is obviously a pipe dream and would depend on where I am with testing, but if there was a mid October craft fair, when would you start making them for them to still be ok by October?

I've enquired about a local fair and sounds good, although I'm nervous about doing one lol

I have cellophane wrapping (roll for pillars) and bags sealed with twist ties for votives etc' date=' all sat just waiting for some contents lol.[/quote']

Thats great' date=' thanks xx[/indent']

Since you are using cello, I would suggest to make the candles now or soon and store them in plastic containers. Then when it gets closer to the event then package them. I have found that cello can get a hazy film and dust on them, if you package them to far in advance.

HTH - Candle Man

BTW - I will start my Christmas candles right after Memoral Day.

I must be mad as I don't make stock (sort of defeats the object of me saying I make freshly made candles to order)

Sometimes wish near Christmas I did though, at least votives in the xmas scents

I did make some up in advance one year and I was told they didn't smell as strong as freshly made ones

Since you are using cello, I would suggest to make the candles now or soon and store them in plastic containers. Then when it gets closer to the event then package them. I have found that cello can get a hazy film and dust on them, if you package them to far in advance.

HTH - Candle Man

BTW - I will start my Christmas candles right after Memoral Day.

thanks for your replies :)

With regard plastic containers, won't there be a cross over of fo's if they are stored together? or do you mean one container for each fo?

I've been searching on the threads for some inspiration as to christmassy candles, but can't really find anything, and need to see which FO's are popular at christmas

thanks for your replies
:)

With regard plastic containers' date=' won't there be a cross over of fo's if they are stored together? or do you mean one container for each fo?[/indent']

I've been searching on the threads for some inspiration as to christmassy candles, but can't really find anything, and need to see which FO's are popular at christmas

Yes, 1 scent per container.

As far as Christmas scents, I can't help you much.

I use to offer many Christmas scents and a lot of different ones, that you could not find here. I don't sell many holiday sents, of any kind. Most, 90%, of my customers are buying gifts and don't want a holiday container or holiday scent.

I'm in love w/ press and seal paper..esp for my containers..I just place it over opening, pull tight and seal..I also use these for votives and pillars..someone once told me that a ziploc bag will keep odors in but it also neutralize the odor so once I found press and seal that's all I use now. I started my Christmas candles today..all containers and all stashed away in a cool, dark closet..

I found that in the larger containers, holiday scents didn't do as well, but in votives, it seemed that hollyberry, pine, peppermint and cranberry were requested the most.

There are a few scents I do recommend for Xmas time that I wish I had more of last year. Snowy Pine by Farm House, Fireside Inn and Winter Blast from Wildfire, they are great winter scents and will be fine as gifts for the holidays and beyond.

Hope it helps.

thanks for those, I'm making a list. I think I'll maybe try about 6 and concentrate on testing those.

Not sure which of those I can get in the UK though, will ask the lady I get my fo's from.

Will have to start saving plastic containers, maybe ice cream tubs? or does it have to be a certain type of plastic, so as not to draw the fo out?

Here is a list of different types of plastic...

• Type 1 - PETE Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Soda & water containers, some waterproof packaging.
  • Type 2 - HDPE High-Density Polyethylene Milk, detergent & oil bottles. Toys and plastic bags.
  • Type 3 - V Vinyl/Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Food wrap, vegetable oil bottles, blister packages.
  • Type 4 - LDPE Low-Density Polyethylene Many plastic bags. Shrink wrap, garment bags.
  • Type 5 - PP Polypropylene Refrigerated containers, some bags, most bottle tops, some carpets, some food wrap.
  • Type 6 - PS Polystyrene Throwaway utensils, meat packing, protective packing.
  • Type 7 - OTHER Usually layered or mixed plastic. No recycling potential - must be landfilled.

You will find this info on the bottom of plastics. The number in the triangle is the number you see above, the triangle means that plastic is recyclable.

I only recomend 1-5 to store candles in.