Layered Candles

I’m using IGI-1274 for layered candles. Pouring at aprox. 180º to 200º. Being doing this for about two years and never had a crack between layers. Yesterday one customer came back with two 1” x 8” candle cracked between one layer to another…I thought that the candle fell and for that reason it cracked…but this morning I was going to move a new candle that I did yesterday and when I wrap it, it also crack in my hands…so now I’m wondering if there is possible due to hot environmental temp that this happen or if there could be any “good” reason for this to happen. Any idea out there for this?…Oh I forgot I used to place candles in freeze to unmold them…but again I use to do this.

The freezer is a good way to weaken the layers. Other than that, usually pouring too cool will keep them from adhering well. I usually poke the relief holes in each layer, then again at the last pour, going all the way through. It helps the layers blend together a bit more.

The freezer is a good way to weaken the layers. Other than that, usually pouring too cool will keep them from adhering well. I usually poke the relief holes in each layer, then again at the last pour, going all the way through. It helps the layers blend together a bit more.
At what temp you pour?

It really depends on what I'm hoping to end up with. Cooler for rustics, hotter for smoother. I don't pay near enough attention to the exact pouring temp :(. I jusr go by what the layer under is doing. If I'm trying for rustic, the wax can't be too hot, so I don't let the layer underneath get as hard. It should have a thick film but not be solid yet... wish I could think of a way to explain better.

Hopefully someone else will pop in do a better job...lol

If they've cooled long enough, you can roll most molds between your hands a bit firmly, and it loosens the candles enough to just slide out. I've had a couple really tough votives that I finally put in the fridge for a few minutes though.

Kelly