Making molds

Anyone here ever make their own molds? We want to make our own electric candle molds. My father-in-law used to make silicone molds so he knows how, but the silicone he wants to use has apparently been discontinued. Could anyone suggest a type of silicone and where they buy it from? Thanks in advance for the help.

I've thought about this before and looked at their site. They have so many different kinds, I got lost...lol

Yes it can be confusing, eapecially for a beginer.

There are different types of rubber, silicone, urathane etc., that are use for different types of molds or what you are making in the mold. Then there are different shores, hardness (meaning- very soft & flexibal or hard & stiff). Then there are different tensil strengths, tear strenths, how tough the rubber is.

If you would like more info, I can point you to some very good web sites, that helps explain all this better.

Because there are so many choices, I think it would be a good idea to call or email the company with your question. They will recommend the right stuff for your application.

PS If you need more sources (other than SmoothOn), why not google "silicon mold making material"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=silicon+mold+making+material&btnG=Google+Search

Plenty of material there to give you a selection of suppliers from which to choose. Good luck :)