Eyes on the Prize!

Just a funny observation. I have seen from time to time that some of us get wrapped a little too tight with all of this business stuff, be it candles or whatever. Let's not lose sight of why we are here in the first place.

We have all come here because we have a love for candlemaking or soap etc... Just don't forget, If it's not fun anymore than you should take a break for a while. It can be healthy to actually concentrate on something else all together and get back to it at a different time, with a renewed sense of determination and inspiration.

I know with myself It's easy to get so serious about some things that i take all of the fun and enjoyment out of creating what i set out to do. The funny thing about crafts and most creations is the people who are greatest at it have the most fun and success in there endeavors, and it all just comes natural to them.

Sometimes we can put up our own road blocks by being to hard on ourselves or pushing too much and trying too hard. I really feel candlemaking is an art form just as any other... if you force it, you will struggle, and if you have fun with it, it will really show in your finished product.

I wish we had more candlemaking magazines to read in those down times! like maybe CANDLETECH MONTHLY, how cool would that be?

Just a thought...

I guess it's time for me to disagree. I was writing this earlier today and thought better of it. Didn't want to be too negative. But I can't not respond.

First of all, I like making candles. But I started into the business to make money to suppliment my income for retirement. So to me it's a business-a dog eat dog business. If I'm not too hard on myself, my customers will be. I set out to make the best damned candle my customers will ever burn, at a price they will pay and at which I can make a living. I make a very good candle, but if I ever get satisfied, I'll never make the best. My DW tells me I'm my worst critic, and I hope that never changes. I drive her crazy when I sit bolt upright in bed in the middle of the night with a new way to make our wax better, or some way to do things faster or better, but that's just me.

If you ever hear I'm satisfied, please send flowers-I'll be buried the next day.

Fredron