Double Wicking Containers?

How do you determine to double wick containers or not? I understand the melt pool issue, but i would be afraid the containers would get too hot, especially glass! I know Gold Canyon uses this method, but most of the big names do not..

so what gives?

I'm not sure about paraffin wax, but with soy....the general consensus is that any container that has a diameter of more than 3" should be double wicked. I haven't run into this problem yet, but I haven't tried a container that large yet. :)

Really? Gosh, I'd be scared to double wick a glass jar. I'm scared to simply wick up on those things as it is. I always pick a wick thats too small on a first test.

Bigwickphobia here. :grin2:

But then again, a 3 inch diameter container is a biggie.

I was told 4 inches are larger but I find when I get past 3 1/2 with soy or parasoy it gets more difficult. I have wicked containers with one very large wick that got as hot as two smaller wicks, just depends on the wick. Actually, tins got the hottest more so than glass JMO. I can't remember which site it was but there was information posted about a regulation for what the max. temperature the outside of the container should reach. If I find it again I'll post.