Looking for website criticisms!

Welp, after spending my entire life in the last months testing, hundreds of hours, and several thousands of dollars, I've got my ducks in order for what I've got ready, along with being totally covered on insurance and have put up my site!

www.cormarcompany.com

Please let me know what you think, harsh or no, just please be constructive! I'm not advertising out yet, or really trying to market it, it's a place for the family to come and some friends and if word gets around great! But I had a friend want to order some stuff with a credit card and at the time, without a site, I couldn't do it! So here it is!

The background is very nice, making it very easy to read text. I think it might be a bit more appealing if the pictures of all of your products didn't look so similar. To me, it would be easier to decide on a scent of like products if the scent choices were part of a pull down list. But that's just my opinion. On the "Contacts" page, you should have "Inquiry" not "enquiry".

CONGRATS on getting your website up!

Leandra

Very nice--congratulations!

Pages load very quickly, and I love the look of your pictures. Easy to navigate. Overall style is elegant:)

One other typo (and this is hard to explain)--'company' is spelled 'comapny' on the windows tab, and also on the solid blue internet explorer bar at the top of the computer screen (hope ya KWIM?!?)

Thanks guys!

We've been working on the scent pull down list, but I'm working on that module to incorporate. My biggest thing with that was having pictures that show the color of the candle when you changed the drop down scent, so people could see it, rather than have the 4 oz. stock pic, then be confused when the candle came in a different color!

As for the pics, I burned my testers, so what I did was stock photo's of the size 4oz. tins was what I used for all the 4ozers, 6 for all the 6's, etc., and as the orders come in, I will make up new ones for that particular size. I didn't want to pour 1 or 2 of everything and have it sit!

Thanks for the typos!!!

Your help is awesome!!!

I think overall it looks very nice.

The only concerns I had were on your "tips" page and the disclaimer at the bottom of the first page.

I thought this sounded awkward, plus it mentioned a potential negative

factor about your candles (tunneling). Another thing, it didn't mention

anything about keeping wicks trimmed:

*Candle Burn Times* Candle longevity matters on how long you burn

your candles for. Burning them for longer may actually increase the

overall burn time. Proper burning is one hour for every inch the candle

is wide. If the candle is 3" wide, burn for at least three hours. If you

follow this rule of thumb, every part of the candle is consumed, as

opposed to tunneling down the center causing shorter overall burn

time.

Perhaps it could be rewritten as:

To maximize candle longevity establish proper burn times.

The suggested rule of thumb is to burn the candle one hour for

each inch of candle width. So, if your candle is 3" wide, burn the

candle for three hours before extinguishing.

Knowing the way people are, this could expose you to lawsuits

from someone who didn't let the wax cool properly before

placing their hands on the candle.

*Hugging Your Pillars* Pillar candles are free standing and therefore

can be prone to leaking down the sides if not taken care of properly.

After you have extinguished your candle, cup your hands around the

top rim of the pillar and smooth around and down while the wax is still

warm and pliable, making a slight fold over of the top of the pillar.

My suggestion:

Pillars are free standing and therefore can be prone to wax flowing

down the sides if not properly maintained. To prevent this, once

you have extinquished the candle and the wax has cooled, yet is

comfortably warm and pliable, you may choose to gently cup your hands

around the top rim of the pillar and smooth around and down, making

a slight fold over the top of the pillar.

This is another dangerous statement, because someone could

argue that their house caught on fire even though they followed

your rules, which assured them they would avoid a dangerous situation.

You might not even want to include it at all. Yankee Candle doesn't

mention anything about testing their candles. Why should you have to?

Most consumers don't know enough about candles to even have a thought

in their head about testing them.

*Candle Testing On Behalf of Cormar Company* Each candle recipe,

combination and batch of wax offered for sale is thoroughly tested

before being shipped. If you follow simple candle safety rules, you can

avoid a dangerous situation.

I would change to:

All of our candle products are thoroughly tested to meet our high quality

standards prior to shipping. In order to maintain candle safety, always

follow established guidelines to help prevent dangerous situations.

For this last paragraph, where did you get the idea that saying

they are duplicates and as therefore they are not considered to

be violating the law in any manner. According to whom?

© Copyright 2007 CorMar Company. All rights reserved.

pixel_trans.gifCormar Company is not affiliated with Victoria's Secret nor Bath & Body Works in any way, shape, or form. All scents are duplicates and therefore not considered to be violating the law in any manner

Cormar Company is not affiliated with Victoria's Secret or Bath & Body Works in any capacity. Our scents are duplicate versions of many

popular fragrances and are not licensed products of Victoria's Secret or Bath & Body Works.

Better yet, you might just give all of your fragrances different names entirely to avoid trademark infringements altogether.

Thanks for the input Sockmonkey! I'll definitely be rewriting some of that!

As for the duplicates, I found it in some rubbish lawsuits about imposter fragrances, and the laws that defined them to be allowed to use it. It basically applied to anything and everything that was a dupe, unless it was the EXACT recipe. I then searched up the law pertaining to it to make sure it was still valid. Do you think it would be better to mention that law, like In accordance with law 12 section 4 sort of manner, or put it closer to what you typed up?

I'm sorta trying to make a name off the scents I do have that people know of. If they know what it smells like, then they might be more likely to buy since it's website only right now. I thought about changing some of the names a bit more down the road though.

Hmmmm.........in February of this year you were just starting out with making votives with items from Michaels. Which means in you have gone from 0-60 in just a short few months with containers and soaps also. I'm not trying to be harsh but, that seems a bit inconcievable to me to be selling product this soon. However, as far as the site goes, it's ok with the exception of the pics and the wording mentioned above.

I think this site is great, and I have some experience in web design. There is always a tweaking process before your site becomes what you really want it to be and as for the writing just like any other you will always revise and revise again untill you are happy with the finished result.

I like to use thesaurus.com and make a huge list of great words and adjectives to describe your products and services, make it fun and original, shoot from the hip and have fun with it. People will really appreciate it If your site is different than all the others. Don't follow along with what others do too much, pave your own road.

It is also crucial to make sure your terminology is nearly perfect, It will be hard for people to trust that you make a great candle if you don't know the proper lingo...ya know?

Let me say I have seen alot worse from so called professionals, so you are on the right track with this, it looks professional, well layed out, the colors are good and it is easy to navigate.

My suggestion would be to move those products up on top and lose some of the text. You always want to see the products right away without scrolling, other than that just keep it up, your really close to having a great site!

Congrats! :yay:

I tend to agree with Indy. You're talking roughly 100 days and 100 different scent/container combos. If you're sure that you've thoroughly tested each of those combo's, then more power to you I guess. It just seems like more than is feasible me.

Site looks nice though. Good luck.

Thanks for the comments! ETA: You guys have been a huge help and I've got a list going to do all the changes at once!

As I've said, I've done hundreds of hours of testing on each combo. Being a stay at home mom, and burning $5000 allows me that time and product to test. If you notice, votives and soaps are 'coming soon', none are for sale, which means that I have not been happy with my tests, but am very close.

My first order from Peaks was almost $1500, with plenty of tins to start with. Throughout, I've boughten things, such as the wick centering tools, the wick centerer, more thermometers, more pouring pots, presto pots, griddles, etc. to help along the way, and even more products from Peaks (a total from them alone for a few molds, all the scents and all the waxes came to $3020).

I honestly knew that someone would put up the deal about how much time has gone by... would you prefer someone with hundreds of hours testing over 2 months, or 2 hours over a year?

When I first started, I poured 3 tins of each size with 3 different wicks, from there I narrowed to a product and did 3 different wicks of the same type (LX, Zinc and HTP).

My first day, I poured roughly 20 tins. The next day I burned them throughout the day, off an on with the minimum burning times. I'd be happy to show you the binder full of papers from testing. After 2 days, I narrowed down to the brand and poured an additional 20 tins. Then test burned those another day. The day after I wicked with what I thought was the proper wick and power burned one and hour burned the other, for each size, each wick combo. I had unscented down to what I felt was proper within 2-3 weeks total, after pouring the 'winning' combo several times.

I then poured each scent I had on the same day, a total of 50 or so with the 3 wick sizes. I burned a set each day, and within 3 days was able to have a final wick, I then poured another set of what I thought to be the right combo and power burned and hour burned those as well.

I had at any given time, 10-30 candles burning in my candle room, every single day. Once I got unscented, I used that as a basis to test each scent. I have two more, Jamaica Me Crazy and Clean Cotton that I just poured, and will be ready to test tomorrow, power burn the next day if the wicking was right to start, then run a second hour burn. I had several sample packs of EACH type of wick, so I was able to toy around quite a bit.

If you have the time to stay at home as I do, and the time to pour and watch burning, then 4-6 days per scent is the average for me, depending on how close I come to start with, if you do it morning til night, between pouring and burning. I could easily also say that if I'd combined all the hours for each candle alone burning, pouring and etc. I've gone into the thousands range hours for testing.

I actually had started with the intention to sell pillars but I'm still not happy with those, and those are absolutely not for sale yet.

But I do know, after reading quite a few posts over time, why you guys are concerned, I just want you to know that I didn't just toss it together, and am not trying to come off sounding snooty, just sharing so that those fears aren't realized with me.

Thanks for the input Sockmonkey! I'll definitely be rewriting some of that!

As for the duplicates, I found it in some rubbish lawsuits about imposter fragrances, and the laws that defined them to be allowed to use it. It basically applied to anything and everything that was a dupe, unless it was the EXACT recipe. I then searched up the law pertaining to it to make sure it was still valid. Do you think it would be better to mention that law, like In accordance with law 12 section 4 sort of manner, or put it closer to what you typed up?

I'm sorta trying to make a name off the scents I do have that people know of. If they know what it smells like, then they might be more likely to buy since it's website only right now. I thought about changing some of the names a bit more down the road though.

I think you need to be careful about making "legal" statements regarding your authority to use duplicate names. Companies like Yankee and B&BW have entire departments and legal staff dedicated to finding people illegally profiting off of their brand on the internet.

I don't think it's wise to state case law or statutes pertaining to this matter if you don't have appropriate legal training. A little bit of knowledge can land you in a lot of trouble. The patent and trademark lawyers they have on their staff will make mincemeat out of you for doing that.

I think it would be a much better idea to rename your products, but in your description state that it "smells similar to xxx," and use any appropriate trademark or registered symbols as required.

I like the layout, format, etc.... The feedback I have is extremely nit-picky and based solely on my own quirks. :rolleyes2

I don't like excessive "!'s". If I see more than maybe 2 in a paragraph then I look around for muscle men and California blonds. (sorry to all those I just insulted) If you are trying to show your enthusiam for your site and your products, think about playing a little with different word choices (as suggested above) or bolding, color, size, etc... obviously not all at once or it'll just look messy, but a bolded word here or there can be used to great effect as well.

The color scheme is..... neutral..... which doesn't offend, but doesn't attract me, either. I am a big fan of selectively using color in creative ways. I think that changing up sme of your font colors based on what section of the page you're in also might help break things up and make it easier for people to mentally navigate the page.

Just my :2cents: Good luck with the updates and I hope things take off! :grin2:

I think you need to be careful about making "legal" statements regarding your authority to use duplicate names. Companies like Yankee and B&BW have entire departments and legal staff dedicated to finding people illegally profiting off of their brand on the internet.

I don't think it's wise to state case law or statutes pertaining to this matter if you don't have appropriate legal training. A little bit of knowledge can land you in a lot of trouble. The patent and trademark lawyers they have on their staff will make mincemeat out of you for doing that.

I think it would be a much better idea to rename your products, but in your description state that it "smells similar to xxx," and use any appropriate trademark or registered symbols as required.

That some good points! Definitely better idea!

Whew.... there are some people on this board who can be downright mean if you don't fit into their perceived perfect timeline! I hesitated to begin posting on this board for just that reason. Congrats on your website! I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks for the positive feedbacks!

Oh right! I forgot about the insurance! That makes all of those years of testing really not so important.

It doesn't take years of testing to get a scent down. It takes years to perfect everything, but you always end up testing the batch of wax, new scents, etc. but if you stayed with the same scents, you don't need to fully test them each and every day, just each batch of wax and a random test to make sure every so often.

Days gone by does not equal hours tested. I'd feel more comfortable with someone who tested a product 50 hours over 4 days, then 10 hours over a month. I don't consider myself experienced, but then again there are people here who have tested less, but have taken longer in days to test it. I don't think either way matters, as long as it's SAFE, and that's what I feel my products are.

I do understand the concern, if something were to happen with my 'home made candles' it could potentially hurt the overall industry and the others here, so to speak. I've thought the same about some who have said they "tested" A wick and A fragrance, and put it for sale but haven't tested otherwise, no other wick combos, etc.

Well, now Miss Mary, commenting as a consumer, I think your site is quite comfy. I like neutral earthtone colors, they calm me, & I feel like a real grown-up when I'm calm & relaxed :grin2:

Based on all the feedback (ok, maybe not all) I think you'll tweek that baby to what is perfection for you.

I don't make candles, but I do read quite a bit on this board about the trials & tribulations a chandler (right ?) goes through to create a unique, visually appealing, great smelling and SAFE candle.

If you took what you had & made it do what it do, lined up your duckies & CYA, then I say rock on sista :rockon:

Good luck to you!

Sharon

I am impressed. I think you have some serious business sense and good for you. I know nothing about making candles but you obviously do. I think your drive is going to make your business stand out.

I like your site. It felt relaxed when I looked at it. I don't know how it shows up on everyone elses screen but on mine shopping cart is shopping car. It's like it's tabbed out of the table or whatever.

Otherwise cudos to you. I'm excited for ya.:highfive:

Thanks much guys for the great feedback and positive comments! I am definitely taking each and every suggestion to heart and will be making changes shortly, as I said, I just want to do a once over and change it all at once. I especially appreciate all of you who took the time to look over the site.

P&V, can I ask, what browser you are using and what resolution for your desktop? I intended the page for a standard 800x600 screen display but tweaks are hard when your the creator and you shrink down and all you read is what you "thought" you put there! :)

I use quite a bit higher resolution so almost all of the page is up for me, and sometimes have it spread over two screens. That made the suggestion of moving the product up especially important as for me, I see it all! I only scroll down about an inch or so, versus most of you. Definitely a main reason I wanted some more opinion on it!

I honestly started with a bright blue and dark blue scheme with a kiddie looking theme, but after completing the design, I realized that a lot of home crafters have bright stand out colors, or country craft. It's not good or bad, just different! I decided to go with a neutral and elegant tone and actually, I tried to match the center flame of a candle with the background, though a bit muted. I took the pic that you see on the main logo part with the leftover testers I had, and photoshopped the color for background!

I also took that color and used it for the business cards I printed and for the vinyl labels for the lids of the tins. It's pretty uniform throughout.

Good job so far, I am sure you will think of lots of things you would like to tweak or make better and it takes a long time before you will eventually be able to say 'OK I'm done, no more changes'.

Two little things as I didn't look at or read everything:

1. The Picture for unscented votives is not showing, just a red cross

2. In the categories list can you do something with the 'Unscented Containers & Candles' so that it doesn't hang to one side. It looks a bit odd not being justified in line with all the others.

Agree you need more variety of pictures and could I suggest you put the fragrance descriptions somewhere other than on the product itself. Remember you are selling your 'Fragrance', as much, if not more than the physical candle itself. People like to create a vision of those fragrances and it's a bit tedious to have to click on every product to read each one.

Having a site done using osC is tough and you have done a great job taking it from it's stock layout and changing it. I'm on my second remake of mine now and it never seems to be done. :(

A few things I have noticed while looking at yours:

If viewed in FF w/resolution of 1280 x 1024, the header and footer are pushed to the right so some of it gets lost in the right column. They look fine in IE7.

In IE7, the wording and button are pushed out out the cart block to the right and cutoff. Working with CSS is a pain when trying to get everything to work right in FF and IE. Since 80% of your customers will most likely be using IE I would worry about that more than FF. I just mentioned FF since some customers may be using it.

If you want to get people to actually click on your menu links, then lose the category counts. It will free up space inside the menu. Just my preference, but you may want to rename the Unscented Candles & Containers to maybe just Unscented candles. This way it won't wrap underneath and look out of whack.

In your privacy statement you say "Cormar Company does not share any of your private, personal information with any third party companies. Please be assured that every effort is made to keep that information private between our company and you."

To me, this means that if I create an account, my info being transmitted is secure...if your really serious about your customers information, then think about getting an SSL certificate for your site. I know I won't buy online from any place that doesn't have one.

You really have done a fine job in your design and layout. Far better than I could ever do!

Keep up the good work and good luck!

I would consult with an attorney on trademark issues before I "guessed" at what would be appropriate for your website. Legal advice is worth the money. I would also suggest not contacting a general practitioner on this issue, actually an attorney who works with trademark and/or business matters.

Your site is nice, and very appealing to my eye.