Palm Kernel - Oil vs Flakes

jaybyrd

Hi Soapers,

Most of the resources I've looked at have said the only difference between PKO and PKO flakes is the convenience of the flaked form, but that the properties are the same. Although the Summerbee lye calculator lists both types, neither MMS nor SoapCalc do, which implies any difference is negligible. Have any of you noticed a difference, or found any resources that discuss it? I do recall one supplier saying the flakes accelerated trace - and of course I can't remember where I saw it. I probably didn't bookmark it because they had no better prices or info than other sites. Maybe they just said there was a diff to justify offering the solid form. ;)

Anyway, just curious.

Cheers,

j

IME there has been no difference at all. Just easier to weigh out the flakes is the only difference I've noticed. I've not experienced any higher acceleration in using the flakes vs. the solid form using the exact same recipe and fo.

HTH

J

I'd suspect the flakes have slightly higher saturated fatty acid content, but I don't know how much that affects the properties of the soap. Coconut oil also comes in 2 different melting points but nobody seems to distinguish between them.

I plugged some numbers into the Summerbee calculator and found they're using the same SAP values. I assume the only reason to include both in the list is so you can print out a recipe that reflects your preference.

I haven't noticed any difference at all, the only problem I have found with the flakes is that they will kinda clump together if shipped in the heat of summer. My first pko was in flakes, I bought it in a co-op, then I ordered the cube from columbus foods and have no problem using a knife to chip off what I need.

• 6 years later...

Faith- you would use the same amount of the flakes in weight as you would of the oil. They are interchangeable. I think the term 'oil' may be throwing you off, though. I've used palm kernel oil and also the flaked form (my favorite form to use), and they are both white solids at room temp. The one form just happens to be grated up/flaked for ease of use.