Candle burnout

Hello all:

Just wanted to say that I really enjoy learning so much info on this board; so many knowledgable candlemakers, so many beautiful candles!:grin2:

I've been making candles about 4 yrs and love it. But recently I've noticed that I have not felt like pouring my candles lately. When I first started pouring candles, I'd pour 7 days aweek, stay up late finishing up, read and researched any and all info i could find, testing,testing, experimenting, taking orders on the side plus keeping our local vet clinic supplied, had to have every scent, every wick, every jar, you know the drill.

I have cut back on direct selling and taking orders on the side, it was just too much.

Has anyone else gone through this stage?

Think I am there now 7Pawz. Nothing really seems to motivate me. Even my new starburst palm wax doesn't really motivate me and I was so excited when the new cs palm first came in but after making a few - just sorta blah feeling on everything. :confused:

Im in a blah stage to. Maybe because we need summer.Or maybe because our bodys are tring to tell us to take a break. My palm wax is the only thing that at least gets me pou ring once in a while. Its the drying time there. I could really go back into my slump, by the time they are set up :cry2:

You could be feeling this way because it is the time of year when candle making tends to slow down. Once I slow down with the biz., I find it's so hard to get back at it when that big order comes along. Your body hits an exhaustion point from busting your butt for 3-4 months and 16 hours a day solid. I think it happens to all of us at one point in time.

To me it happens every day LOL

I always do some candle and keep on testing, but since nobody shows so much interest in my candle I'm not so motivated. I look at what I leave behind (relax and money lol) and ask myself "who makes me do it".

I get an order or two per year (I'm just more than a hobbist), people with shops ask me quotes then never get back. My family don't want candles. Friends neither (just for gifts at christmas time).

But there's something really addicting in this candlemaking I always think to wax, projects, scents.. and I know I will be making candles forever, even if sometimes things don't go well.

take your time to relax, a few days without wax, then you'll run at your pots like an alcoholist runs at bottles LOL

Yep - I am feeling burned out as well. As I sit and surf thru all the posts here on CT, I have orders waiting to be filled. I just can't get myself to the melted pots waiting for my attention. Orders, testing, and "silly me" a PT job just for slow periods has kept me working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week since January. Usually, a little break will "fire" me up again.

I'm there too. I haven't poured a candle or made tarts since January when I moved to South Carolina. All my stuff is sitting there packed in boxes in my closet. I open the door, I look in and think about making some, then I think about all the mess I'll have to clean up and then tell myself I'll do it later...but later hasn't come yet....

I do that all the time. Right now I think it's just that time of year. I haven't poured much since the holidays and that's fine with me. Husband got me an order for 4 8 oz. containers and those won't take long...also have an order for some dipped roses. Hang in there. I think I posted the same thing not too long before Christmas. Maybe we need to try B&B or something different. Ginger

I think of trying B&B but no big motivation there too! First I'd need a safe place for lye and I don't have it... then I will do soap and B&B again all for myself, I can't even think to sell here: don't know about you but here every single recipe must be approved by a chemical laboratory. So....:tiptoe:

Yeah, I have been like that for months now. I think about it all the time, but just haven't been able to really get into it. I am thinking about trying soap or something for a while.

Me too. I pulled out my crochet books and started an afghan:grin2: . although i finally poured 5 small jar candles, only cause I knew I had to. hopefully i'll get over this but it's been awhile.

Yep - I am feeling burned out as well. As I sit and surf thru all the posts here on CT, I have orders waiting to be filled. I just can't get myself to the melted pots waiting for my attention. Orders, testing, and "silly me" a PT job just for slow periods has kept me working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week since January. Usually, a little break will "fire" me up again.

That sounds my situation, a PT job plus the candles turned into full time work. I began to think about finding a "balance"; I still have the interest, just not the ambition,hope things work out for you:smiley2:

I do that all the time. Right now I think it's just that time of year. I haven't poured much since the holidays and that's fine with me. Husband got me an order for 4 8 oz. containers and those won't take long...also have an order for some dipped roses. Hang in there. I think I posted the same thing not too long before Christmas. Maybe we need to try B&B or something different. Ginger

You might be right. that's me, haven't poured much since the holidays, guess if I get past this, I might start back pouring around Aug for the holidays. I started back crocheting, think I'll look in my soap recipes for something:grin2:

Think I am there now 7Pawz. Nothing really seems to motivate me. Even my new starburst palm wax doesn't really motivate me and I was so excited when the new cs palm first came in but after making a few - just sorta blah feeling on everything. :confused:

Hope you get over the blahs, though I understand how that is. I've been thinking about trying some new wax, but that's as far as I got---just thinking.

Im in a blah stage to. Maybe because we need summer.Or maybe because our bodys are tring to tell us to take a break. My palm wax is the only thing that at least gets me pou ring once in a while. Its the drying time there. I could really go back into my slump, by the time they are set up :cry2:

Summer would be good:yay:Maybe a break is just what all of us need.

You could be feeling this way because it is the time of year when candle making tends to slow down. Once I slow down with the biz., I find it's so hard to get back at it when that big order comes along. Your body hits an exhaustion point from busting your butt for 3-4 months and 16 hours a day solid. I think it happens to all of us at one point in time.

I agree with you, it seems the older I get, the less disciplined I am; and I can imagine what it would be like if I were in business instead of hobby like I am now. It got to the point where sleep was a luxary for awhile and thats when i realized I needed to cut back somewhere, so I did, but still don't feel like pouring a huge order. I finally poured some small jar candles today, but only because I had to.

To me it happens every day LOL

I always do some candle and keep on testing, but since nobody shows so much interest in my candle I'm not so motivated. I look at what I leave behind (relax and money lol) and ask myself "who makes me do it".

I get an order or two per year (I'm just more than a hobbist), people with shops ask me quotes then never get back. My family don't want candles. Friends neither (just for gifts at christmas time).

But there's something really addicting in this candlemaking I always think to wax, projects, scents.. and I know I will be making candles forever, even if sometimes things don't go well.

take your time to relax, a few days without wax, then you'll run at your pots like an alcoholist runs at bottles LOL

Don't give up cyber; someone will be interested in your candles, the main thing is that you enjoy what your doing--candlemaking is addicting and I feel I'll get past the "blahs"--I'll relax, do some crocheting, reading, etc and THEN I'll get back to my pots:grin2:

I'm there too. I haven't poured a candle or made tarts since January when I moved to South Carolina. All my stuff is sitting there packed in boxes in my closet. I open the door, I look in and think about making some, then I think about all the mess I'll have to clean up and then tell myself I'll do it later...but later hasn't come yet....

I've had days like that too--relax, take one day at the time, those boxes will be there when you get ready:grin2:

I think of trying B&B but no big motivation there too! First I'd need a safe place for lye and I don't have it... then I will do soap and B&B again all for myself, I can't even think to sell here: don't know about you but here every single recipe must be approved by a chemical laboratory. So....:tiptoe:

What about bath salts, lotions,things like that? Could that work for you?

I used to crochet some years ago - before candles came along I think. Don't even know if I could remember how now:p Started 2 afgans - one for each granddaughter when they were born - they are now 4 & 6 so you can see how long ago that was. Now my biggest problem is trying to stay awake while I try to remember how to do it all over again. Well, my frost palm is due in tomorrow - maybe that will motivate me. Did make 4 feather palms, and 4 starburst palms yesterday. They look real pretty and that helped some so maybe the frost palm will be just what I need. Like 7PAWS (did I get that right, see what short term memory is all about!!) we will just hang in there and it will get better. We'll See!!!!

What about bath salts, lotions,things like that? Could that work for you?

Hi 7Pawz I don't know, I'm afraid that everything that is skin related is strictly regulated. I mean that's the right way, but to me it would be a bit of trouble finding the right informations!

Here in italy candles and handamade soap are not so popular so I don't know where to look at!