Concealing wick tabs on votives?

I've pretty much given up the ghost and just push the wick in as far as it goes so the votive stands level. Nobody has complained so far - but that's not surprising when you go and have a look at the bottom of a votive you can buy in the shop (it is like the surface of the moon - full of craters and bumps) we are definately too hard on ourselves.

Lisa

Have you ever tried using wicks without tabs? If you wait for the votives to cool a little, you can just poke the piece of wick right in. To me it's easier than trying to get the tab to stick and be level and everything. I wait until the votive gets a slight skin on the top, because it means the bottom has partially solidified and the skin on top helps keep the wick centered, too.

I use molds with wick pins and I use tabbed wicks. When I'm ready to put the wicks in, I put them in with the tab still sticking out. I heat the bottom of the wick over a flame and use a pencil eraser to push the tab all the way in. It works great for me, and the tab gets just warm enough to melt a little wax on the bottom of the votive and seal itself to the candle. Hope this helps!

I gave up on that long ago. Noone notices except us anyway. As long as the bottom is level then you dont need to conceal the tab.

A votive without a tab is not safe, the wick will fall right over as the votive liquifies, the tab also keeps the flame from reaching the bottom of the glass and starting a fire.

A votive without a tab is not safe, the wick will fall right over as the votive liquifies, the tab also keeps the flame from reaching the bottom of the glass and starting a fire.

Ditto...without the neck of the tab, the wick will lean against the glass - you'll could get either a broken holder, a fire or both. The wick tab does not need to be hidden IMO.

when you insert your wick, hit the tab with a heat gun then push it in firmly - the hot tab will adhere to the wax. Now, the tab may be a little warm so watch your thumb.

Oh, thank you! :embarasse The instructions from one of the supply websites said that it was cheaper and easier to wick them without tabs. I haven't had any problems yet with the wicks falling over, but I usually don't burn votives very far down. I'll go back to using tabbed wicks.

I put my wick in, push the tab in as far as you can of course. Then I use a griddle to just slightly heat the bottom, as soon as it starts to get tacky vs. liquidy (which happens very fast) I put the label on the it. It seems to adhere to the tacky wax. Kind of like glue

Oh, thank you! :embarasse The instructions from one of the supply websites said that it was cheaper and easier to wick them without tabs. I haven't had any problems yet with the wicks falling over, but I usually don't burn votives very far down. I'll go back to using tabbed wicks.

No problem, cant always rely on what those supply websites say, unfortunately...A lot of people burn their votives all the way to the bottom, of course we dont advise that but people do it anyway. The tab keeps the wick straight, and also keeps the flame from going all the way to the bottom.

We used to heat the wick tabs, then push them in with the eraser on a pencil. That got to be too time-consuming when we really started cranking them out!

Luckily, we found out the the LX wicks we use from Bittercreek have a higher neck on the tab...it is a tighter fit and we were able to eliminate heating the wick tabs to get them to stay.

As far as hiding the tabs...we never even thought about that. We just slap the warning label over it and they are "good to go"!

right, time to 'fess up and tell you how I've been fixing the bottom of my tabs in for now.

I've got a bottle opener, the ones thats triangular on the end. I heat that up over the gas ring, pop it on the end of the votive till it melts slightly, slide the wick in and push :embarasse

still, its sticking them lol, not ideal, but hey, its not an ideal world