colloidal oatmeal

TexasBrat

So far what I have read is to grind it up really fine and then you are suppose to put it in tea bags or muslin bags and add to bath water. I bought some recently and it came in a plastic tub all mushy already. I was wondering how to make it just like that so I don't have to buy it.

You can grind your own oatmeal, but you'll never get it quite as fine as the stuff you buy. But it's a heck of a lot cheaper to do your own! Try a coffee grinder, that seems to get it finer than a food processor. You can also add in oat flour. What you want is to have your water go milky looking and almost have a bit of slime :) Stick it in a big tea bag and float it in a tub, feels great.

Yep, I use my coffee grinder for my oats and it gets them pretty fine, although not as fine as the stuff you buy, but I sift out the larger pieces.

I've never tried just using the oatmeal in a tea bag, but I know that when you've got the itchy skin (for whatever reason) this stuff is the BOMB!!! :yay:

Works like magic. ;)

It's waaaay cheaper to just buy reg. oats and try and grind them up yourself fo sure!!!

Sure, that's what Aveena soap has in it. Actually enhances the bubbles cuz it gives a slight scrubby effect.

I thought colloidal oatmeal is a very fine powder/talk type of oatmeal that you can purchase in the pharmacy otc (for poison ivy soak)? In that case, how can it be scrubby? I think I must be thinking of another type of oatmeal, don't I?

Another question: how much oatmeal do you put into your soap ppo? or just eye-ball it to the desired degree of scrubbiness? Thanks in advance! :)

Well, the "real" processed colloidal is a really fine grain, made especially fine so it goes into the colloidal (gel like) state. But I've used it, and you can still feel that there's a bit of scrub to it. What we can do at home isn't quite so fine. but it's basically the same thing Even oat flour feels scrubby.

I eyeball it - a tablespoon per pound is a bit rough for me, maybe use less. You have to test and see how you like.

I've got a piggy-back question on colloidal oatmeal: can you put it in soap? if so, what effect will it have? will it kill the bubble? thanks!

I make soap with regular oatmeal that I grind up. And it is so lovely in soap. I put 1/4 cup for a 5 pound batch.

Yep, for putting it in soap, you really need to play around and decide just how "scrubby" you want it.

The first time I made it, the recipe I had said to use 1/2 c in one pound of soap-OUCH waaaay too scrubby for me.

The next time I did it, I used 1/4 c. still too scrubby for ME, so now I use about an 1/8 of a cup. ;)

I found, back when Henry was just a teeny weeny little guy, and I made all his cereal at home, that the blender is the best way to get finely ground grains. That puppy will give you oat flour from rolled oats - you can't get a finer grind than that.

So, moral of this story, is...use your blender instead!